Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Issues After A Crash.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deadguy138

deadguy138

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:16 PM

i had a crash after foolishly trying another poker room and had to hard-kill the machine.

when i got everything back up and running firefox had deleted all my bookmarks and the page also needed to be resized to fit upon startup every time. when i go to save a new bookmark i get the window - hit save - and nothing happens at all until i eventually hit cancel.

ive tried a complete reinstall of firefox and have the same issue each time.

any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

restoring bookmarks from backup

The import bookmarks feature of the Bookmarks Manager will add the contents of any bookmark backup to your current bookmarks.

Firefox: "Bookmarks -> Organize (or Manage) Bookmarks... -> File -> Import... -> from File"
Mozilla Suite: "Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks... -> Tools -> Import..."
When the file picker appears, navigate to the folder that contains the bookmarks file you wish to use and select that file. Windows 2000 and XP users can navigate to the bookmarks backup folder typing "%APPDATA%" in the file field and pressing Enter, going into Mozilla then Firefox, then Profiles, then xxxxxxxx.default (where xxxxxxx is any sequence of numbers and characters), then the bookmarkbackups folder [2].
Alternate method for advanced users: Rename the backup file "bookmarks.html". Replace "bookmarks.html" file in the profile folder with the renamed backup. Make sure the browser is not running when you replace the bookmarks!

Add Bookmark dialog not working:

Firefox issues caused by a corrupt localstore.rdf file, which may include:

Changes to the toolbar reset themselves after you close Firefox and start it up again
Window size or position not remembered at startup
Bookmarks appear in the Bookmarks Manager but not in the main menu and can't be edited
"Add Bookmark" dialog not working
Firefox 1.5: Search engines missing from the Search Bar and unable to add new engines
These problems can be fixed by using either of the following methods (any toolbar customizations will be gone when you restart Firefox):

Safe Mode method: Exit Firefox completely and then restart Firefox in Safe Mode. A window called Firefox Safe Mode with some troubleshooting options will appear. Select the option "Reset toolbars and controls" and choose "Make Changes and Restart".

Alternate method: Exit Firefox completely, open the Firefox profile folder (Windows users, read this for help finding it) and delete the file "localstore.rdf". Caution: Do not delete the localstore.rdf file in the Firefox program installation folder by mistake [3].

#3 deadguy138

deadguy138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

neither method worked.

the one in safe mode never offered me the windows described.

#4 deadguy138

deadguy138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

ok - got it. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users