Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound When Removing A Usb Device

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ElTigre

ElTigre

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

We are familiar with the sound the system makes when you install a USB device and when you remove it. When you plug in a thumb drive, for example, the tone is a rising one and when you remove it, it is a descending tone. My question is this, periodically my computer plays the tone like I have removed a USB peripheral, but I haven't. I have done virus checks and spyware checks using about 15 different programs, but all say I am clean. What could be causing the tone to play?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

It could be anything you have plugged in as a usb device; camera, webcam, printer etc. In many of these items, when you use it or, conversly, finish using it, it will make that familiar sound.

#3 ElTigre

ElTigre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

It could be anything you have plugged in as a usb device; camera, webcam, printer etc. In many of these items, when you use it or, conversly, finish using it, it will make that familiar sound.

It only makes that sound when you actually remove the device or use the system tray to "safely remove it".

I am not removing anything, but the system still makes that sound periodically.

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

We all have different configurations, I guess. If I switch on (or off) my camera or printer, it certainly makes that "ding dong"

#5 ElTigre

ElTigre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

We all have different configurations, I guess. If I switch on (or off) my camera or printer, it certainly makes that "ding dong"

You are absolutely right. It does make that sound if you turn something on or off. It does that when I turn my printer off while leaving it connected. The problem is I'm not turning anything off. I am not disconnecting anything. There are no loose connections.

My printer is not on. My mouse is connected, but never loses connectivity. I'll just hear that "removal"/"turn off" sound periodically.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

It's gonna be hard to figger out what this is without some more info.

I'd suggest leaving Task Manager open to the Processes tab - and then waiting until you hear the tone to see what's consumed more resources at that time.

I'd suggest finding out the exact tone (try your Sound setup in Control Panel - it'll allow you to try the different tones until you find the right one). Then, when you find the tone, you can use a program like Process Monitor to capture the events that caused it (haven't tried this myself, so this is a bit of a guess).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

mail collecting - sounds the same??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users