Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Off, Browser Works But Still Something Wrong

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

i just bought a compaq AMD SEMPRON Mobile 512 mb ram some crappy nvidia graphics card that runs off of my books ram. with windows xp. I dont really know what I did or when it happened I tried to update Java today, and it said I wasn't connected to the internet. then I tried to install YIM,(it installs as it downloads from yahoo!) and 1/4 of the way through it tell me i'm not connected to the internet. My firewall is off. I tried turning it on and adding these programs to the exceptions. but still no luck. I'm not using a router, I"m connected via ethernet. that's all the information I can really think of right now Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

If you can navigate to different pages, or even bring up a page, you are connected to the internet.
You may have a very slow connexion speed, or your connexion keeps getting disconnected, or your modem may not be functioning correctly.
Check your ISP for its troubleshooting guide.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 mojomidget

mojomidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

I ran a speedtest on speakeasy.com and these are the results:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4444 kbps (555.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 354 kbps (44.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I dont see why I would be getting disconnected being as I'm using broadband.
I guess the next step is to contact Time Warner and tell them to fix it and give me a months free service...:thumbsup: thanks jgweed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users