Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Home Search Assistant Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 billyt

billyt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

Followed your excellent tutorial. I had to skip step three because I can't get the Task manager window to stay open long enough to check--Show processes from all users. Tried using control-alt-delete and taskbar--same result--box opens and then vanishes before a selection can be made. Followed the rest of the tutorial but I fear virus is still with me. It won't let me use AIM. Can anyone help me? billyt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

Are you using these basic security programs?
aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rashid

rashid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

hello billyt
you are just wasting your time with home search assistant. this virus is very difficult to eradicate and it incorporates into a lot of system files and whenever you remove it has the ability to reinstall itself. at the most what you get is the home page does not shows but the popups keep on comming and after some time virus again reinstalls itself. i had tried to get rid of it many times and came to the conclusion that reinstalling the windows is a better and time saving option
thanx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users