Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:45 PM

Running windows XP:

Well recently I was enjoying my thousands of MP3's that I have burnt to my computer while I was multitasking with many programs open and my processer maxing out...lol. But all sound muted itself, I couldn't hear anything and I checked to see if the volume was muted but that wasn't it. Checked my sound drivers and they were all enabled and compatible and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. My drivers were all updated and I had the most recent versions. I could even here my microphone so i knew it wasn't the speakers. I just couldn't here any sounds from my system, none at all. So I figured I would try and reinstall my drivers to see what would happened, and it worked :flowers:

So I figured I would explain how I did this incase anyone else has the same problem and is to lazy to go through troubleshooting...lol

Need to access sound driver properties so:

1. Start/Settings/Control Panel/System

2. Then once the system window is open go to the hardware tab and then click Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers, right-click your sound device, and then click Properties.

(If your not sure what device you are looking for Follow the instructions at the bottom...that say..."Follow these to figure out what device you need to change")

4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver. (This will roll back to the last driver that was installed)

5. Now that you have done that your sound may be working again but now you want to reinstall the updated driver so....its updated...lol. Go to Start/All Programs/Windows Update and then follow their instructions to update your drivers :trumpet:

Follow these to figure out what device you need to change:

1. Open Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel.

2. On the Audio tab, your sound device in the Default device lists under both Sound Playback and Sound Recording is the one you are wanting to change. Its the one you will select in the device manager in step 3 above :inlove:

Hope this helped...and that someone hasn't already covered this...and that I posted it in the right thread....:cool:

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:39 PM

Excellent Tip!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bring us some more :thumbsup:

#3 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

I plan to :thumbsup: Thank you for your comment, its greatly appreciated :flowers:

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:53 PM

Hey Ataryu, we appreciate your input. :thumbsup: A lot.

I'm sure it will help people and yes you put the tip in the right forum.

Most of your tip is good for dealing with drivers in general. You brought to light some features that a lot of people don't know about, like XP's ability to roll back drivers. That's a great feature that can be a quick fix. When you start having a problem after updating a driver--roll that sucker back.

Here are a few more tips and tricks when dealing with drivers.

Tip: If you reinstall a driver update and still get the same problems, just roll back again and leave it--the updated driver is buggy.

Tip: If you are having problems with a device and roll back doesn't help or the driver you're using is already the original default, you can uninstall the driver--Windows will reinstall a fresh copy when you reboot. I've done this with a basic mouse a few times when it was acting flakey.

Tip: Boot into safe mode when uninstalling drivers.

Tip: Avoid using driver updates from Microsoft unless it is one only MS provides. Check your device's manufacturer's website for driver updates--they know the device better than MS.

Trick: Quick way to get to System Properties (and Device Manager via the Hardware tab): Right click the My Computer icon and chose Properties.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:01 AM

Cool, I even learned a few things, lol, thanx for the reply :thumbsup: