Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Craziness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Quincy

Doctor Quincy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hello!

I recently noticed that my computer was running slower than usual, especially when browsing the internet, and I think the problem lies with Windows Automatic Update.

I had it set on the default settings, (3am, every day) and it's never bothered me before.

Now, however, it seems that every time I connect to the net (I'm still on dial-up) Update pops up to tell me it's downloading updates, and it never seems to stop doing so.

Yesterday, I'd recieved some 19 million bytes of information, and the update icon said it was only 35% done! This morning, it said it was only 7% done.

I can't seem to find out what it's downloading, and it's really frustrating me. Far from 'running quietly in the background', it's reducing my surfing to a painful crawl, and causing 'server not found' messages on some sites.

I've tried turning AU off, disconnecting then reconnecting to the net...but without success.

What's going on? Is there any way to stop it from doing this?

Help!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

If you want you can disable automatic updates (which is not recommended by Microsoft) and connect to the Windows update site manually. If Windows update gives you the same trouble, you can download your updates from the download center.

Windows Update - windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Download Center - www.microsoft.com/downloads/

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

I've seen a lot of troubles with the automatic updater feature - but do not experience this trouble on my system when it's set to download, but not install, the updates. I recall seeing this mentioned as a workaround several months back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Doctor Quincy

Doctor Quincy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hello!

Thanks for your replies. I've tried every which way to stop the thing donwloading, but it just won't stop. I've changed the settings from 'Automatic', to 'Turn off Automatic Updates', to the aforementioned 'download but do not install'.

Still, every time I connect to the net, off it goes again.

What's going on, eh?

CURSE YOU AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

Just a shot in the dark - but try this free tool to reregister the Windows Update DLL's: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Doctor Quincy

Doctor Quincy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hello!

Thanks for your help. But just as soon as this problem started, it stopped again. Weird!

It's all good.

Thanks again!

#7 PinFace

PinFace

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

Do so: Start - Run - type in: msconfig, press Enter - on the tab like "Services" or else (don't remember) find: Automatic Windows Update Service and unmark it. Then reboot, put a mark in the apeared window and you'll never see them again! If it doesn't help there are other, "deeper" ways... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users