Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

Computer is a Powespec 5500 running XP Home.
AMD Sempron 3100+
ECS RS482-M754 motherboard
currently has 2x512 MB memory sticks, both DDR400 I think. I could be wrong, the old one might be DDR333
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video
Not sure what else to list here.

I've been in here several times over the last year, thanks to my husband's computer. I don't know what he does to them, but they are always screwed up. This time I don't think it's a virus, I'm afraid it's something more serious.

Last week he ordered a new stick of memory, bumping him from 768MB to 1GB. It's been working great for him, no problems. Last night before we went to bed his weather.com desktop weather thingy was saying it had an error and had to shut down, so he told it to go ahead and send info about the error to Microsoft or whoever, and then it rebooted. After it had booted up, he shut it down and we went to bed.

This morning he went to boot up and got stuck in a restart loop. At one point he was able to try starting in safe mode, so he tried that and then shut it down. When he powered back up he was still in the loop, Windows would almost start up and then it would shut down and start over again. Then he tried the "Last known good configuration", but that didn't work either. So, he shut down the computer and unplugged it for a few minutes. Then when he plugged it back in and hit the power button, it was even worse. No video signal to the monitor, the HD seems to run for a few seconds, and the light on the front of the box that corresponds to the HD comes on for a few seconds, and we get a single beep repeated over and over and over, and that's it. It never boots, never goes anywhere. And I'm not even sure it's a POST beep, the tone sounds a little different, but I could be wrong.

He's been having trouble since he got the computer with the screen blinking. It appears to be something with the video driver, cuz my computer at work, with similar integrated ATI video (his is an integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200), used to do the same thing on startup. But his will do it randomly, so he was getting fed up and trying to fix it.

So he went looking for solutions, and although I told him not to, he decided to start trying new drivers and software for his CPU. The following are his words from an IM log this morning:

Start log:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_11686,00.html
That was the page
Now I know I tried the cool and quiet but it didn't even install
along with the catalys thing, which isn't on this page
catalyst - never installed, remember I told you it wanted a standard vga driver so I didn't do it?
It may have been the Processor driver towards the bottom
I know I'm not being much help but I can tell you this. I dl 3, maybe four things - Catalyst, cool and quiet and maybe that processor driver
I know catalyst didn't work as well as the cool and quiet, so process of elimination leaves that driver
End Log

OK, so first step is to try taking the new memory out and see if it will boot, right? Any other suggestions? Can you point me to a troubleshooting guide I can reference? He's working all day on my computer (works from home) so we won't be able to do anything about this until at least 3PM, but I want to make sure we have as many tools at our disposal as possible. It should still be under warranty, so if it's something serious, like a power supply or motherboard problem, we should be able to get it fixed (crosses fingers). Hopefully it's nothing that serious and we just need to re-seat the memory.

Thanks in advance. Please tell me he didn't do something that would completely fry his computer.
Judi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

See if the place that has the warranty will do a diagnostic under the warranty. That way it won't cost you anything.

You can run Memtest to test the memory (free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ )

You can get free tools to test the hard drive from the hard drive maker's website.

You can test with another video card (if you can get one) to see if it's the card that's bad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:05 AM

Well, we went ahead and tried moving the memory around, and we're pretty confident that it's the new memory that we installed last week. With just the old memory the computer works fine. With the new memory in there by itself or with other memory it will last for a few minutes and then reboot.

Should I contact the manufacturer of the memory, or the place I bought it from?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

Usually it's the place that you bought it from - they'll either exchange it (if it's local) or give you an RMA (if it's further away).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users