Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Area Connection Query?.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

On my Network and Internet Connections page in Controls I had two entries. The first one said;

Local Area Connection
VIA VT6102 Rhine II Fast
Ethernet Adapter.

The second one said;
Local Area Connection 2
Connected
USB Cable Modem 351000

I use Connection 2 for all my internet etcetera the Ethernet Adapter one was what my son used when he lived at home and slaved his computer off of mine. But since he moved in to his own place a few months back and took his PC etc with him I still had the entry in my Network and Internet Connections page although the extension cable has been removed.

To stop it flashing in my task bar I just disabled it and never bothered about it anymore. However last week my Daughter who shares this PC with me was doing some College work when she came to me and said that she had suddenly couldn't connect to the internet. She said that she had been using Word when the PC suddenly crashed and on restart couldn't connect to the internet.

When I checked the Connection settings I found that for some strange reason I had no entry for Local Area Connection 2(USB Cable Modem) and only the entry for Local Area Connection (Fast Ethernet Adapter) which off course doesn't connect to anywhere. I shut my PC down, unplugged my Cable Modem waited a minute or so then powered up only the cable modem and let it reset itself. Restarted PC and found that my Local Connection 2 had been restored and we were online again.

The next day I thought that as the Fast Ethernet Apapter was obviously not needed on my PC I went to Device Manager and uninstalled it and at the same time noticed there were yellow question marks against PCI Simple Communications Controller and USB device in the Other Devices heading. These I am sure were the 56k connection used prior to installing broadband so I uninstalled them also. I thought to myself if something doesn't work as it should I can always reinstall them.

Since doing this I have seen no adverse reactions. This morning however I had to restart my computer after installing a program and on restart got the message on my taskbar, Local Area Connection 3 a network cable is unplugged. On investigation I found that the Fast Ethernet Connection (now called LAC 3) as well as the PCI and USB device in Other Devices had reinstalled themselves on my PC.

My Questions are; (1) do I need these?.
(2) If not, how do I get rid of them for good.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:35 AM

Those devices you uninstalled in Device Manager, including the 'Fast Ethernet Device', will simply re-appear the next time you start Windows because the physical devices they refer to are still fitted inside the PC. All you've 'uninstalled' is the entry for it.

Windows always checks the system for 'new hardware'(even though it isn't new to you) when it starts, and any it detects it then proceeds to install it's driver (that's what you see in 'device manager') or labels it as "Unknown Device" if a suitable driver is not on the system. To prevent Windows putting that entry back you would have to open the system case and pull out the device.

Personally I would leave the Ethernet card in place and just 'disable' it as you did previously. It isn't do any harm in there, and if it should be needed in the future all you need to do is "enable" it again, which is much quicker than having to find it and fit it.

On a final note, your existing cable-modem probably doesn't have an ethernet port. But check just to be sure as some have both USB & Ethernet. If it does have one, that method of connection is more reliable than USB in this instance. You won't need to install a driver (that's only needed for USB) either so no chance of getting a driver problem such as it conflicting with another driver now or in the future. The fewer drivers you need to install the better, and using ethernet for your internet access is one way of achieving that.

Edited by pip22, 12 February 2007 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

I would take pip22's advice and connect to your modem through the ethernet port if possible. An ethernet connection is faster than USB, although you may not notice any difference with your internet speed. And you will free up a USB port that can be used for other things.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thanks, Budapest. never thought to mention that. you can never have too many usb ports. Cheers ;)

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

My Cable Modem does have an ENET connection. How would I find out if my PC has a corresponding connection and what does it look like?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

The connection Should be on the backside of your pc and it should look similar to the connection on your modem. If you don't have a NIC(Network Interface Card) or Ethernet and want to go that route, wal-mart, best-buy, circuit city, and fry's electronics carry them relatively cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users