Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Back-up Personal Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hamitaf

Hamitaf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:56 AM

Last night my PC (which happens to be a HP Pavillion 1422c) Decided to die on me and began refusing to boot. I try to turn it on and i reach a screen with start up options (Last known config., safemode, start windows normally, etc.). Problem is, nothing works and the computer restarts itself each time when it reaches the XP loading page.

So I used HP online technical support and they guided me through SEVERAL different methods, but nothing worked. I was told that I must perform a non-destructive system recovery as my last resort.

Unfortunately I was told that I must "Back-up" my personal files (such as the My Documents folder) but I have no Idea how I can do this.

Can someone please help me understand my options at this point? Must I transfer my Hard drive onto another computer? Or is there another method I could try?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anuradha

Anuradha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:09 AM

There's a backup utility in Windows XP using which you can backup the data. Visit these URLs for detailed steps:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...t_03july14.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:37 AM

Another method you can try is to boot your computer using a bootable CD, and then copy the data off the HDD. Try one of the following:

Ultimate Boot CD
Emergency Boot CD
Puppy Linux
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Hamitaf

Hamitaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

There's a backup utility in Windows XP using which you can backup the data. Visit these URLs for detailed steps:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...t_03july14.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820

Wish I would have known that before my computer locked up on me. :thumbsup: thanks for the info though.

Another method you can try is to boot your computer using a bootable CD, and then copy the data off the HDD. Try one of the following:

Ultimate Boot CD
Emergency Boot CD
Puppy Linux

Thanks for the links. I think I'll try the first link and hope it works.

does anyone else have any other suggestions? :flowers:

#5 Hamitaf

Hamitaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Ultimate Boot CD did not work for me.. :thumbsup: i guess i'll try the second option

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

You can use Puppy Linux to burn Windows files to CD\DVD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users