Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added Ram- Won't Shutdown Fully.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 liquidsilver

liquidsilver

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hi,

I was advised by the HJThis forum to ask you guys in the XP forums about a problem I have.

As my computer was running slowly and I sometimes get "Low on Virtual Memory" Warnings, I have just added a DDR Memory Module. Since then, when I shut down, Windows closes down but the little orange light and the fan stay on constantly and I can't start the computer again unless I turn it off at the wall first.

Also, for the last few weeks I have been getting a message saying New Hardware had been detected and the "Install New Hardware Wizard" popped up for no reason. I just cancel it. It only happens intermittently and is prior to me adding extra RAM.

Some advice would be appreciated please.

I'm using XP Sp1.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovaan

lovaan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

Just off the top of my head I can think of 2 things for the RAM problem. First off - is the RAM seated properly in your motherboard might not hurt to take it out and put it back in. Secondly - it might be that the new ram you installed isn't compatible with your old RAM.

#3 liquidsilver

liquidsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Lovaan. I took out the card and put it back in. It seems snug and secure and clipped in place. The fan, small orange light and mouse light are still staying on when Windows shuts down. However, it did respond to booting up without me having to switch off/on at the wall.

Both cards, although different makes say DDR on them and the man in the shop fitted the card for me. He did however say to bring it back if there are any problems so maybe he thought there might be! The make is " TwinMOS" Memory Module " 256MB PC2100 DDR if this means anythihng to anyone.

I was trying to save myself another trip across busy Qatar. Any other suggestions are welcome as I won't be able to get across town for a couple of days.

Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Often shutdown problems can be traced to programs that are "hanging" on shutdown. Couple this with the "Add new hardware wizard" showing up and it's likely that this is causing the problem with shutdowns.

RAM is not a cure for the low virtual memory settings - unless the pagefile has been changed to static rather than the default Windows managed setting, then it's likely that RAM is not the issue here.

So, the first step is to check in your Device Manager for the device that isn't installed. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. You're looking for anything that has a yellow "!" or a red "x". Let us know what you find and we'll work from there.

Although RAM will generally work with other similar modules - this is not a guarantee. In particular, the cheaper modules used in mass produced computers seem to suffer from this more than others.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 liquidsilver

liquidsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hi USASMA,

Tried what you said but no yellow or red symbols there, in fact no symbols at all. Everything seems to be working properly. I've not had the new hardware message for a few days now, but the box still seems on after Windows has shutdown.

#6 bindlestiff7

bindlestiff7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

I had this same problem regarding a new 256MByte RAM stick a few weeks ago. After lots of messing around I went into the BIOS (on my particular PC system hit Delete during the black screen initial boot phase) and selected 'Load Failsafe defaults'. If your BIOS offers this it is worth a try as it solved my problem - well, so far no probs at least.

Ian

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

I would remove the new stick of memory and then try shutting the PC down. If it works fine then, I would suspect an incompatability between the two sticks of memory.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Try running MemTest for a few passes (2 or 3 - but overnight is better). It's available for free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/

If everything comes up fine, then it's likely that the RAM isn't the problem. But if you do get errors, here's a couple of things to try:

1) Test one stick at a time
2) If you get one stick that comes up good - check it in the other slots by itself
3) If you don't have a stick come up good - then try each stick alone in each slot to see if you can find a good combination.

Let us know the results of the MemTest and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 liquidsilver

liquidsilver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

I've tried removing the memory stick and shutting down. Problem remains.

I've downloaded MemTest but it sounds a bit complicated and beyond my basic knowledge.
Do I have to copy it to disc to run it?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:06 AM

It tells you what to do in the directions.

Simply stated:
1) Download the ISO file
2) Burn the ISO (this is different from copying) to a CD so it will be bootable
3) Put the CD in the drive and boot from it
4) Wait......

You can use this free utility to burn an ISO file: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users