Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chip Design With 80-core Processor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

Following their march from standard processors to dual-core and quad-core designs in 2006, Intel researchers have built an 80-core chip that performs more than a teraflop of operations (trillions of floating point operations per second) while using less electricity than a modern desktop PC chip.

The rest of the story.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:21 AM

The more we get the more we want and then we find out life was simpler and far less complicated when you didnt have computers. ha ha

All these technology increases in the cpu's now days. Makes you not want to buy a new pc because you spend so much and its worth nothing in 6 months.

I remember when I could buy a laptop keep it for a year and sell it for the same price I paid almost or even make some money.

It sounds nice but I doubt it will be in a pc near you within the next 5 years. Who could use so much speed?

I mean come on ,"640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981"

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

I forget you said it but they came up with a formula for the advancement of computer technology.

I think it went something like "computing speed and power will double in half the time it took to get to the stating point"

Posted Image

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

It's Moore's law.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

Heck, I'm just contemplating upgrading my PC to Socket 939 with an Athlon 64. My AMD XP 2400+ system runs so good, for what I need, it's tough to consider upgrading. The only reason I may do it is so I can triple boot XP, Vista and some 'nix flavor.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

I got a Amd 3200 both in my desktop and laptop both with socket 939. They work good but if you try and do several things at once they can slow down.

I want one of those new dual cores but for what I do I might stick with the 3200 for a while longer and get my money out of it.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

I was thinking about getting a dual core until I found out that Windows XP and Linux cannot utilize them properply. In fact, after you install the drivers for the duo-core, only a few programs can even use the dual core processors to there advantage. I was thinking about getting it for Folding@Home, and it would work too, but by the time I get it, I would want to upgrade my mobo so I can atleast use DDR2 memory.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

Yeah I am not sure if it cant use the other core but with a few programs if it would even be worth it or we could go for the FX series amd has which they put out some speed for a single core.

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

What kind of cooling does that baby take?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users