Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Get My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 markmgk62

markmgk62

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

I read some of the solutions but i cant see the start button i have to use alt+control+delete...and after a half hr i found this but i cant left click or nothings its just the screen there..no icons no nothing can some1 plz plz plz help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

i even tried task manager new task and typing explorer.exe: some1 told me to type that last time something went wrong...and now im typing it and they still wont come up my last computer did this and i replace it and i dont have 2 money to do it again can some1 plz help me im on a really really tight budget

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:45 AM

Does this problem occur in any other account?
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:39 AM

Try doing a repair install of Windows.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

I wasnt given any windows cds but i do have recovery disk that the computer prombted me to do..can i use these to fix the problem?

Edited by markmgk62, 12 February 2007 - 06:28 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

Yes, but it may wipe out any saved data that you have. Let us know the make and model of your computer so we can see what options that you may have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

windows xp home edition well it all worked out...i restarted my computer and it happened again my guess is its internet explorer...thats my lucky guess but idk

#8 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

ok i restarted my computer after downloading and installing internet explorer 7..and when it came up my icons still didnt come up but this message did the message stated: The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW couldn't be located in dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL. now i dont knw what any of that is..can some1 plz help me get my desktop and computer back 2 normal! i beg of thee

#9 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

does any1 know anything about this or can help me on to getting my desktop plz? i wake up go to school and come back do homework then dedicate my whole day to fixing this for my dad i get really tired but i just want this resolve...and im 15...im like really good but i just cant fix this problem

but i do remember this happened one time before and they told me to go to safe mode go to run and type something in that i member i typed msconfig but that was different..i think it might be something thats starting up with the computer because everything is like ok..i think there is something really small causing a really big problem

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

Did you restore the computer or did you do a repair install? If you restored it, did you load the drivers - or were they contained in the restore media? If you don't know, let us know the make and model of the computer so we can look it up.

If you've restored the computer, and all the drivers are up to date - the most likely explanation is that theres some bad hardware. But there are other possibilities - so let's work on the software issues first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

i have no clue what you are talking about but heres all the information on the computer

well to start off its a Compaq Presario SR1838NX

and im guessing the model number is the product#=ER920AA-ABA

Edited by markmgk62, 13 February 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#12 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

i cant figure it out i did another system recovery and itll work then when i try to update my anti virus or my yahoo it doesnt work...it says

SORRY FOR THE INCONVIENCE BUT THERE WAS A PROBLEM EITHER SYSTEM FAILURE OR I PRESS SOME POWER BUTTON then it gives me options:

1) SAFE MODE

2) SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

3) SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT

4) GO BACK TO OLD CONFIGURATION (BEST LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIG)

5) LOAD WINDOWS NORMALLY

now there was this 1 time that i had called hp and they told me to type something in the box

all i remember is going start/run/msconfig...but there was something different i know what msconfig does..now theres something else..DO YOU THINK THIS PROBLEM HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE WAY MY COMPUTER STARTS? like when i was in msconfig i was looking around and i could change the boot status..like load hard drives first or what not..im guessing maybe there is something thats not loading right..idk im just going to turn the computer off for now and w8 for more replies

TY

#13 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

I THINK I FIGURED OUT...now help me out here people...i restarted my computer and there was something that came up explorer.exe couldnt b found..now last time this problem occured they told me to type explorer.exe...SO MY GUESS IS that the thing that brings up my desktop is crashed or something..idk you guys let me know if im close wrong or just plz further explain ty

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

If you did a full system restore and you're still getting these errors - I'd suspect a piece of hardware has broken. Try looking in your Device Manager for any red x's or yellow !'s (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).

If nothing stands out there, then it's time to start the hardware troubleshooting. Here's 2 free utilities to start out with (just read the directions that come with them):

http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php (use the SMART tab to check your hard drive)

Once that's done, let us know the results and we can move on from there.

#15 markmgk62

markmgk62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

ok i figured it out now im at the device manager..so what do i do? its just there

Edited by markmgk62, 14 February 2007 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users