Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Processor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 suzeybq

suzeybq

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

I have an older computer for my daughter. It is running Windows ME 4.90.300, the processor that is in it is an Intel family 6 model 7 processor. Running 256 Ram, with 9.30 GB harddrive.
I have a couple of questions....
what do i need to set her up for wireless internet. I have a wireless modem on my computer. Do I need just the wireless card??
What size of CPU is this... how many MHz ??? I couldn't find it on the harddirve properties manager.
Is it possible to put Windows XP on this computer or am I just asking for trouble???
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
ps... buying her a new computer is not an option...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

According to Microsoft you have a P-III processor. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 216204. You have enough to run XP, if it is a P-III processor, but I would recommend you go with Windows 2000 Professional. It is as stable as XP but chews up far less resources.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:14 AM

:thumbsup: Thank you for filling in part of my puzzle.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:18 AM

You are welcome. I like older computers. I have 11 P-IIIs for me and the kids. All are running W2k except for one (Mine) it is running XP Pro.
Is there anything else we can help you with?

#5 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

I would like to be able to set her computer up on wireless internet, as I have the main wireless router on my computer now. I was talking to one computer "tech" that says my computer is too old, and I need to upgrade.
What's your take on it. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hmmm... No. He is wrong. There are several Wifi NIC that will run under ME. You could run XP on that computer, all be it very slowy.
Here is what I suggest. First bum the RAM to 512mb (About $35 for a 256mb stick). This will improve your preformance. Second, leave ME on it for now. Look for a discounted PCI wifi NIC. They can be found around $25 shipped.
Then just se how it goes.

#7 suzeybq

suzeybq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks I will be giving it a try.
:thumbsup: