Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Microsoft Gdi+ Detection Tool & Microsoft Update Vs. Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

I have a new laptop with Windows XP SP2 on it, IE6 (though I use Firefox, not IE), and MS Office 2003 Student Edition. The latest update that popped up as "high priority" from Windows Update is this GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374).

It sounds like you have to install it then run it and then visit MS Office website to check for updates...? Is this worth doing? Can it cause more problems than it will help? (I thought I've read about issues when updating MS Office with security patches...? And that you have to download yet something else to even check for Office security updates...?)

Or do Office security updates come through Windows Update, and I don't need to worry about this? (But if that's the case, then why even have this GDI+ thing available?)

I'm always worried about ending up with a bunch of conflicts with other programs like AVG, ZA, AutoGK, DVDShrink, etc. And I'm always hesitant to install something that has to run on my system.

I've got AVG and ZA, keep both up to date, and I have Automatic Updates turned on just to let me know when there's a critical update (so I don't have to visit the Windows Update site to get updates).

I was thinking I would only do the updates to Office that come through Automatic Updates and not worry about any others...

Also, what's the difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update? Is it better to have Microsoft Update, or does that have its own set of problems associated with it? (And if you do use Microsoft Update, does it install something else on your computer?)

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovaan

lovaan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:24 AM

Well to start off the difference between windows update and microsoft update is as follows. Windows update is what originally comes with the computer and only updates the windows platform. If you choose to upgrade to the microsoft update it will check all of your microsoft programs for updates.
As far as going to the office website for updates... unless you want to install non-critical updates to your office suite then you shouldn't have to at all. Finally - that GDI+ detection tool is the little program microsoft uses to scan your computer for any of their products - that is if you use microsoft update and not the original windows update.
So if you like your computer to maintain critical updates by itself for the microsoft programs than yes use microsoft update and yes install the GDI+ decection tools.

Hope this helps you out!

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

Well to start off the difference between windows update and microsoft update is as follows. Windows update is what originally comes with the computer and only updates the windows platform. If you choose to upgrade to the microsoft update it will check all of your microsoft programs for updates.

But don't critical updates for MS Office show up when you go to the Windows Update site, even without the GDI+ Detection Tool?

As far as going to the office website for updates... unless you want to install non-critical updates to your office suite then you shouldn't have to at all.

Even if I don't install the GDI+ Detection Tool and only use Windows Update? I don't want to install non-critical updates to Office.

Finally - that GDI+ detection tool is the little program microsoft uses to scan your computer for any of their products - that is if you use microsoft update and not the original windows update.
So if you like your computer to maintain critical updates by itself for the microsoft programs than yes use microsoft update and yes install the GDI+ decection tools.

Hmmm... I'm still a bit confused. I'm thinking the best thing would be for me to just check the Windows Update site myself once a week and turn off the Automatic Updates (which I have set now to let me know when there's updates, but not to download or install). And then not install the GDI+ thing nor Microsoft Updates, as long as Windows Update (going to it myself once a week) will inform me of any critical updates to Office.

Is that correct how that would work? And if so, do you agree this is the best thing to do?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

It's your choice if you want to install GDI+. Just make sure to stay current with all of the necessary updates.

Description of the Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool: September 14, 2004
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

It's your choice if you want to install GDI+. Just make sure to stay current with all of the necessary updates.

I'm trying to get clarifications so I can choose. :flowers:

Can you, or lovaan, or anyone let me know the answer to the following:

I'm thinking the best thing would be for me to just check the Windows Update site myself once a week and turn OFF the Automatic Updates (which I have set now to let me know when there's updates, but not to download or install). And then NOT install the GDI+ thing and NOT do Microsoft Updates, as long as Windows Update (going to it myself once a week) will inform me of any critical updates to Office. Is that correct how that would work?

Or does Windows Update ONLY tell you updates for Windows...? (I seem to recall seeing other updates besides Windows Updates when you do Windows Update, is that right? And if that's the case, then what's the benefit of installing Microsoft Update if Windows Update will tell you about any critical updates to Office, etc.?)

I use ZoneAlarm (free) and AVG (free) and keep both up-to-date (as well as SpyBot and Ad-Aware SE free). And I don't open emails I don't recognize, nor visit any "questionable" websites. So I'm also wondering if any Office updates are even necessary. (?)

Thanks for the posts, you two! :thumbsup:

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

I manually download the updates the third Tuesday of the month. I allow one week for any complaints due to the updates that are released on the second Tuesday of the month. As for downloading the GDI+ it can't hurt you. I downloaded it with no issues. I constantly use Office and exchange documents so I stay on top of Office updates.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

I manually download the updates the third Tuesday of the month. I allow one week for any complaints due to the updates that are released on the second Tuesday of the month. As for downloading the GDI+ it can't hurt you. I downloaded it with no issues. I constantly use Office and exchange documents so I stay on top of Office updates.

But does Windows Update give you Office critical updates?

Or does Microsoft Update only do that?

And do you need the GDI+ thing to get any of those updates?

#8 lovaan

lovaan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:54 AM

I'm fairly certain that only the microsoft update will give you Office updates.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:48 AM

My 2 cents worth.

I have auto updates off. I check for updates manually using the windows update site. My experience these days is that critical updates to office are located there. If not, it is very easy to navigate to the office update page from the windows update page and check for critical updates manually. I have not installed the GDI+ and I do not use Microsoft Updates. I use Windows Updates.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

I run Office 2000. For those updates I go to the Office Update site. I also use Windows Update to retrieve any necessary updates (Custom).

Get Your Donor Card

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

I manually download the updates the third Tuesday of the month. I allow one week for any complaints due to the updates that are released on the second Tuesday of the month.

Okay, so I notice that there's a ton of new updates like you said today. I'd like to wait a week like you do, but where do you check to make sure there's no problems before you install them next Tuesday?

Thanks!

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

You will see a rash of questions dealing with similar problems just after the updates are released at many different tech forums. Keep an eye on new posts here within the next week.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users