Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is Hijackthis Listed In My Add/remove Programs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

I downloaded and ran HighjackThis once and noticed that it is now listed in my Add/Remove Programs List. Why is this? I thought it didn't actually install anything on your computer?

(I originally had it in a folder on my desktop, I think that's where it was when I ran it, then I moved it to the Programs Folder on C:, then I moved it back to my desktop. Not that any of that would matter...)

On a side note, I also ran that Startup program, and that didn't add anything to my Add/Remove Programs List...

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hello,

Not sure what your problem is though..
Hijackthis is listed in your add/remove programs because when you start Hijackthis the first time, it looks where Hijackthis is located and puts an entry in the Uninstall entry in your Registry.

Hijackthis does indeed add some registry entries when you run it, so using add/remove deletes the entries from the registry.

The startup program doesn't add anything to the registry as far as I know.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Hello,

Not sure what your problem is though..
Hijackthis is listed in your add/remove programs because when you start Hijackthis the first time, it looks where Hijackthis is located and puts an entry in the Uninstall entry in your Registry.

Hijackthis does indeed add some registry entries when you run it, so using add/remove deletes the entries from the registry.

The startup program doesn't add anything to the registry as far as I know.

No problem, I just was surprised to see it listed. I ran it when the folder was in my Programs folder on the C: drive. Then I moved it to my desktop to remember to post about it. So when I went to Add/Remove Programs to remove it, it said it was already removed (since I moved the folder to my desktop, I guess?). So I moved the folder back to Program Files and tried Add/Remove again, and it now would let me do that. But I didn't, since you said that's how it's supposed to be.

So I should just keep it as is and leave the folder in my Program Files folder, since that's where I originally ran it from, correct?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

Yes, you should keep it in the folder where you originally ran it from.
It's in the Uninstall command where the uninstall switch is created. So to find out, Open Hijackhis, click config below > misc tools on top > Open Uninstall Manager.
Then select Hijackthis 1.99.1 in there and look on the right what it says in the Uninstall Command field.
Normally it should say there (since it was originally placed in your Program Files): "C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe" /uninstall
Anyway, in that field you'll find the path where you placed it the first time.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi,

Yes, you should keep it in the folder where you originally ran it from.
It's in the Uninstall command where the uninstall switch is created. So to find out, Open Hijackhis, click config below > misc tools on top > Open Uninstall Manager.
Then select Hijackthis 1.99.1 in there and look on the right what it says in the Uninstall Command field.
Normally it should say there (since it was originally placed in your Program Files): "C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe" /uninstall
Anyway, in that field you'll find the path where you placed it the first time.

That's it -- thanks!

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

#7 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.
If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users