Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Get My Desktop Back?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheps101

sheps101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hi
I hope someone can help.
I have lost my desktop and everything on it except the screen saver.

I have no taskbar, start button or shortcuts. However I can acess everything via task manager by opening up individual programmes. How it happened was I did a system restore and it just came up blank.

AOL also will not let me sign in it just freezes on the sign in page, but I can get online via explorer. I have tried systems restores to no avail. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled AOL annd it still doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks Sheps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hi
I hope someone can help.
I have lost my desktop and everything on it except the screen saver.

I have no taskbar, start button or shortcuts. However I can acess everything via task manager by opening up individual programmes. How it happened was I did a system restore and it just came up blank.

AOL also will not let me sign in it just freezes on the sign in page, but I can get online via explorer. I have tried systems restores to no avail. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled AOL annd it still doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks Sheps

You can try this.

If you ever lose the Desktop but Explorer is still running with the Start Button,
you can do this to bring back your Desktop in a Windows box.

Click Start
Click Run
Type a period " . "
Then press Enter

If no joy go to old trusty Google.com and type in "lost desktop". Good luck.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

Way cool tip bicycle bill! I love it! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

Nice tip but hes going to have trouble finding the start button....lol. This might not work but right click the desktop and >arrange icons buy>and tick show desktop.
MCP
MSDST

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

Windows key + R will usually get you the run dialog.
Also, you can do it from Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and run it as a new task.

He did mention that you've gotta have the Start button visible - but there are workarounds to that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users