Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Notebook.....set-up?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hello Folks!!!!

My advice was NOT taken and it started being used before they called for anything.

- Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
- WinXP MCE
- < 1Gig RAM
- 80GB Storage
- Cable Internet Connecton

1- Recovery Discs...How can I make them for this system. Would THIS work here even though it is a DELL.....http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph08097

2- Partitions??..I thought the Operating System should be on 1 alone. When "My Computer" is clicked, there are four line items. 1) C: Local Discs 2) D: DVD-RW 3) Shared Folders and 4) Johns Documents

3- Setting the "PageFile" to Let Windows Decide what is Best... How is this accomplished?

4- The entire Security Issue...
It came with PC-Cillin...I believe that will expire so I will have to outfit it myself..I purpose:

-Virus- AVG Free

-Spyware- WindowsDefender + AVG until it expires(Active)......Spybot, Ad-Aware,SuperAntiSpyware in their "passive" modes

-Web Protection- SpywareBlaster and Spybots Immunization feature.
I configured their IE6 as per BC guidelines. You can forget about Firefox..or even IE because they use AOL....

- Firewall- Enabled the "resident" one.....Could/should you employ another..Kerio..ect??

ANY and all recommendations are greatly appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Inside the Dell Utility Partition

DELL now includes back-up Ghost image in Concurrent DOS partition
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

3. This is the default, as I remember.
4. Windows firewall only scans incoming packets, not outgoing ones. Your best bet is to use one of the good (and FREE) firewalls. I am assuming this is not YOUR computer, so you will have to give the owners a lesson in using the firewall, or make sure they read the HELP file.
Here is a list of free applications:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
I have used Sygate and Comodo with great success.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Correct...It is a close family member and I will advise after I read the help most assuredly.

Mr Terror...Tons of good info there..Need time to get through and utilize all...

Can one use one of the free Firewalls in conjunction with the installed one? Or does this fall into the category of "only 1 virus program"?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

Correct...It is a close family member and I will advise after I read the help most assuredly.

Mr Terror...Tons of good info there..Need time to get through and utilize all...

Can one use one of the free Firewalls in conjunction with the installed one? Or does this fall into the category of "only 1 virus program"?

Yes, only one firewall or there will be conflicts. I agree with using Sygate or Comodo.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

Disabling the current one will be a snap....now just to choose from the list...no issue...

Lots to be done with Terrorists' 1st post.....AND more I suspect.......

More notions...and potions....or am I making more of this than should be?...Would hate to see a brand new/pristine system get lost......

I believe I will install Ccleaner also...As per BC guidelines...

Edited by 1Bart, 11 February 2007 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users