Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager = Imaging = Oasis Scorpius

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cib

cib

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

Was installing an Epson Scanner on my computer and having some trouble ... had to do it several times over the course of an afternoon, when I checked the Device Manager, this "weird" name showed up, as an installed imaging device. It was taking up the memory space that Epson needed to run, so I disabled this one, and Epson is now working like a champ.

But where did this "Oasis Scorpius" come from? I can't swear that it was the Epson software (since I was doing other things that afternoon, including websurfing), and Epson's support service assures me that there is no such item in their stuff. I have Norton anti-virus and Spysweep and Windows firewall running (all up to date) and the firewall in the router.

What is scary is that nothing, but absolutely nothing comes up on any search engine for that term -- everything seems to be working fine with it disabled, but I can't be positive it is not legitimate or illegitimate... should I delete it from my system? Anyone have any knowledge or hints to share ?

I am running a Fujitsu laptop, XP Home edition, nothing really unusual in my programs, all common up-to-date commercial software; this is networked to another Fujitsu laptop through a Maxtor Shared Storage Drive -- and I am positive this did not appear on my system before that day I started working on the scanner !!

Any advice would be appreciated !

Edited by jgweed, 11 February 2007 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

Did you install the Epson software from a CD? If so search that CD for that program.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 cib

cib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

Thanks - never thought to scan the CD; just did that, and nothing relating to my mystery is on the Epson install disk. I also scanned the actual computer, and came up with three files --
scorpius2kXp.inf, scorpius2kXp.PNF, both in c:\windows\inf
and scorpius2kxp.inf in c:\Documents and Settings ....

Called my laptop's support staff -- they are positive it is not from them, and tried looking for a solution, but when they searching, the only thing they were coming up with were the questions that I had posted on a few forums ... I just keep striking out, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Edited by cib, 11 February 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

Double click on scorpius2kXp.inf and the contents will open with Notepad. Copy & Paste the contents of Notepad here.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 cib

cib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

c:\windows\inf

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Image
ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
provider=%MfgName%
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Oasis

[Oasis]
%USB\VID_0EFD&PID_0008&MI_00.DeviceDesc%=BULKUSB.Dev, USB\VID_0EFD&PID_0008&MI_00

[PreCopySection]
HKR,,NoSetupUI,,1

[DestinationDirs]
BULKUSB.Files.Ext = 10,System32\Drivers
BULKUSB.Files.Inf = 10,INF

[BULKUSB.Dev]
CopyFiles=BULKUSB.Files.Ext, BULKUSB.Files.Inf
AddReg=BULKUSB.AddReg

[BULKUSB.Dev.NT]
CopyFiles=BULKUSB.Files.Ext, BULKUSB.Files.Inf
AddReg=BULKUSB.AddReg

[BULKUSB.Dev.NT.Services]
Addservice = BULKUSB, 0x00000002, BULKUSB.AddService

[BULKUSB.AddService]
DisplayName = %BULKUSB.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 2 ; SERVICE_AUTO_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %10%\System32\Drivers\usbscan.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Base

[BULKUSB.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbscan.sys
HKLM,"System\Currentcontrolset\Services\BulkUsb\Parameters","MaximumTransferSize",0x10001,4096
HKLM,"System\Currentcontrolset\Services\BulkUsb\Parameters","DebugLevel",0x10001,2

[BULKUSB.Files.Ext]
usbscan.sys

[BULKUSB.Files.Inf]
scorpius2kXp.inf

;---------------------------------------------------------------;

[Strings]
MSFT="Oasis"
MfgName="Oasis"
USB\VID_0EFD&PID_0008&MI_00.DeviceDesc="Oasis Scorpius
BULKUSB.SvcDesc="Oasis Scorpius"

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

Windows Image Automation Filter for a scanner.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 cib

cib
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to look at this for me !!

Now, what do I do with it? Right now it is "disabled" ... if I enable it, then the Epson scanner doesn't work - they seem to compete with each other for primacy.

I admit I haven't tried all the features of the scanner yet, but if I should uninstall/delete this, would something that needs it ask for reinstallation from the original Epson CD?

Or should I just leave well enough alone?

And since it seems to be incomplete (no driver, only those .inf and .PNF files) should I try reinstallation of the whole shebang?

The more that I think about it, could this be an explanation (based on my limited knowledge, I am just fishing for an understandable reason for how or why this happened, just to set my mind at rest):

Could this be some kind of "leftover trash " from the installation that Windows tried to do itself through the wizard -- since Epson's installation instructions specifically told me NOT to use the wizard, just use their directions ... and I am usually paranoid enough to follow instructions to the "T" ... but I confess that since I was having trouble, I might have resorted to the Windows XP wizard -- I just don't remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users