Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Flight Sim X Deluxe--vday Gift For Hubby?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aerochick

aerochick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

:thumbsup: Hello All,
Well, Valentine's Day is here on Wednesday, and I thought--"I should get hubby (a private pilot) the new MS Flight Simulator Deluxe! He'll love it!"
So, I did. and a cool joystick.

Then a few days ago my brother (who knows far more than I do about tech/video stuff) told me that my pc probably wouldn't be able to run it. "WHAT? Now that would take my Valentine's gift and flush it. Darn!"

So, I did a bunch of research and decided to upgrade my system to the best of my ability, to accomodate this game for hubby.

(I currently have a Sony Vaio Pent.4 3.6GHz with 1Gb Ram and running XP Media Center with two separate video cards--one for digital input and one for hdtv/svideo, with a power supply of 305W.)

So--I went and bought an XFX GeForce 8800GTS (640MB GDDR3, SLI/PCI Express/ Dual DVI/ HDTV blah blah video card...)

I bought another 1GB of RAM (PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3) to bring the RAM to 2GB (the max for my motherboard/bios)

A new power supply (required to run the new graphics card): OCZ / Power Stream 600W ATX Dual 80mm Fan/ SATA Ready/ SLI Ready/ EPS Power Supply

So, now with:

Pentium 4 (3.6GHz)
2 GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz RAM
XFX GeForce 8800GTS Video Card
600W Power Supply
(Plus the MiaMIDI upgraded sound card I already have)
200GB free on a 250GB Hard Drive (7200RPM Serial ATA)

Will this work???
I am SO worried that after all of this, I will be stuck with a present that won't be of any use to my hubby. There's not much else I can do (that I can think of) to make this thing work... unless you consider buying an entirely new computer just for this game haha...

Thanks so much!!! I am so worried that I didn't do it 'right'.
--Aerochick :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

I have just acquired the same Flight Simulator.
If you look at the back of the case it will tell you exactly what system requirements are necessary in order to run the program.
Regards

#3 aerochick

aerochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hi Philip,
I know that the minimum requirements are listed on the back of the box. However, reading consumer reviews and talking with people that are using the program, in order to use the flight simulator to its maximum capacity (ie using the texturized graphics, and having smooth animation, and using the multiplayer function) you have to have a very different machine than the one they list.
My current computer would technically 'run' the program at its lowest settings. I would like to use all of the functionality of the program, and have the best graphics I can get.
I talked to one person on the phone today that just this morning loaded it onto his pretty new and amped up computer (running Vista, 4GB RAM, 750GB HD, 7600 Video Card) and it won't run in any way that makes him happy. He says it's something his 3 year old likes... but for adult use, it's not worth it. (Says he gets 'not enough memory' messages and his video card is too old--it's 8 months old--.) Also, when DX10 comes out for FSX, I will need the 8800 chipset to use it at all. (And Vista, which I will have to consider at that time... but for now DX9 on the WinXP Media Center OS will have to do...)
I'd like to see how it works for you, and know what system you install it on. I think part of my friend's problem is that he's running Vista, and that alone takes up a bunch of RAM.
Thanks for the reply. Please let me know how it goes for you.
--Aerochick :thumbsup:

Edited by aerochick, 11 February 2007 - 04:46 PM.

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

I am not really into games,so i will almost certainly not install it.However i do have a friend who has installed it and his computer is not anything like as good as yours in terms of specification,he thinks it is great
I would be inclined to install it and see what it is like.It sounds like you will not be dissapointed.
Regards

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

You should be fine. You meet the requirements for the best settings.
Item..............Minimum........................Recommended...........Best
CPU...............1.0 gigahertz (GHz)........2.8 GHz.......................3.6 GHz
Memory.........256 megabytes (MB)......1 gigabytes (GB).........2 GB
Video Card....32 MB.............................64 MB..........................512 MB
Internet.........56.6 modem...................Broadband..................Broadband
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 aerochick

aerochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Mr. Alpha :flowers:
Where did you find those numbers? From what that says, I should be fine with my new setup.
Thanks SO much, I'll keep ya'll posted.
--Aerochick :thumbsup:

#7 aerochick

aerochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

Okay, well I got all of the hardware I told you about, and got it all installed yesterday... Everything seemed fine, until we tried to use the sample games that came with the video card. The F-16 game worked fine, but I had some problems with the other sample games. Nothing big, but things weren't 'perfect'.
I installed the Flight Simulator this morning (and am STILL here at lunchtime trying to get it up and running). Either my installation was corrupted or something is wrong with the hardware/setup. It installs fine (and is beautiful!) but when loading a mission, it locks up when 'loading terrain data'. I found a patch from microsoft that is supposed to help with terrain problems, but no luck.
I called NVidia, and they said that it might be my Midi card interefering, so I removed it, but still no luck.
Any suggestions?
--Kristin

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

As a first start of which drivers did you install. Check this page

0 user(s) are reading this topic