Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lechatboote

lechatboote

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

HELP

I tried to upgrade(I knew better) to IE 7 and the download blew up my browser. I believe it destroyed a dll file within the browser because I saw a brief message illuding to that and now my browser is missing tool bars and buttons and I am unable to download anything to fix it from microshaft.

Yikes :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Barring that nothing important was destroyed with this d/l, try right clicking on an empty space in your command bar and click on menu bar.
More help in this article; Windows IE7 Toolbar:It's Your Option.

Edit;Don't know the exact error message you got,but there may be a fix in this Troubleshooting IE7 article.

Edited by TMacK, 11 February 2007 - 04:12 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:39 AM

Oh my friend were it that simple. First I have no IE the only bar I have is my roboform bar and the address there is nothing to access right clicking on what? There is no bar. I have no favorites or history either.

The help on the second page brings me to a dead end.

I think I'm going to need to email or pando all the dll.s associated with IE and see if I can replace them. I could do a reg hack but it's so time consuming. The discussion groups at microsoft address numerous problems none of which help.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you :thumbsup:

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:44 AM

Thank god for eventviewer... :thumbsup: START RUN type eventvwr and look for red crosses. Post anything you there overhere. What is your operating system Windows?XP?

#5 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

That's very helpful, I can see a ton of problems faulting within the kernel of IE and dll issues. There are too many things going on the remember all the particulars and I can't right click and copy them to post them.

Yikes, not insurmountable I'm sure but time consuming nonetheless.

Thank you very much :thumbsup:

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

Have you considered uninstalling IE7, and reverting back to IE6, to see if the problem still exists?

Edited by tg1911, 12 February 2007 - 08:27 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

IE 7 never completed the install it crashed in the process taking out my browser. I know there are dll files missing now because in order to install a newer version it will delete old files and rewrite others.

I tried going to Microsoft to re-download and re-install and earlier version but the download is inaccessible to me.

If I could find IE 7 to uninstall it I would, but it never technically installed. I need to fix my damaged files on the version I have.

I'm running XP :thumbsup:

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

Would System Restore work in this situation?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

I tried sys restore twice two different dates in time with no success.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Why not do the following :

- Reboot and tap the F8 button and than go back to "last known good configuration "?

#11 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

Most excellent idea my friend! Usually my trend micro does that for me I will try that not at my home
computer at the moment but I will try it when i get home

Thank you

Linda

#12 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

Last known good configuration did nothing for repairing the browser. I need to do a regedit and fix the missing dll's probably by hand as it won't allow me to download from any websites.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

hmm. try this: Start --> Run Type in sfc /scannow Make sure there is a space between the c and the / . Click on Okay. Your system will now check for corrupt or missing system files and will attempt to repair or replace them. If prompted, insert your Windows XP installation disk - this is different from a restoration disk.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

Good idea however,

My computer came preloaded with windows XP

I thought it was the home edition, the scan says it's professional and I have no CD for such an animal it did tell me that there are missing dll files in the cache, duh like I didn't know that already

Billgates is soooo smart lol

#15 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

:flowers:

Yikes I'm still in microsoft hell here! My browser has only an address bar, forward and backward buttons, stop and refresh.

The rest of the browser is missing. I cannot download anything from any website, probably related to the fact that I cannot allow or disallow active x. I tried to uninstall the remanants of IE7 only to have worse problems which made me need to perform a system restore.

I'm sure the registry is damaged and there are missing dll files but I have to way to directly access the dll's. Last know good config does nothing, running the scannow shows me a number of red flags but I have no way to rectify these things.

It's looks like a reg hack would be in order but I'm not sure where to begin. Sometimes my right click copy doesn't work on some pages etc.

Talk about a mess and I really don't want to have to reset everything to factory specs and start over as I have a ton of stuff I would have to back up. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users