Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Partitioning To Install Ubuntu? Help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LokiDucks

LokiDucks

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

I posted this in the hardware forum, cuz it's about harddrives, but i'm posting it here too incase it shoudl have been here anyway:

Suddenly i've been obsessed with playing around with Ubuntu/Beryl. I tried to get an old external HDD to work to boot from it, but i don't think that can happen. My only other option is to use my internal HDD. The problem: it's only 80gigs and 33gigs are still free.

Is there a way for me to partition (logical partition?) the drive so that i can install Ubuntu? Is there a way to do it so that if i don't like it or get sick of it, i can give that space back to windows? From what i understand, WindowsXP is NTFS and Ubuntu needs FAT32, right? Is it possible to have both file systems on one HDD??

Can anyone help me out and let me know what i should/could do?

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

if you really just want beryl, try sabayon.
don't double post, people get pissed.
aside from that

get yourself either partition magic (Windows) or QTparted (linux) and leave the last 20 gigs or so free on the drive, blank space NO Partition defined other than your NTFS one for windows of course.
now that you have free space to install into, you can just boot up off of the Edgy disk and either run the install utility from within the LiveCD environment or from the command line. there are a lot of different ways to install linux, but you probably want the easy one. (off the LiveCD) just make sure you leave yourself about 1gig for swap.

[Edit]
after a little research it looks like Knoppix and Kanotix (Both LiveCD's) have fully functional NTFS compatible versions of qtparted on them. Use that program to take the last 20 gigs out of the partition you already have. (Most likely /dev/hda1)

Edited by Jombee, 12 February 2007 - 08:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users