Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Selective Forum Browsing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:57 AM

In another couple of sites I visit, it is possible to eliminate, from the "new posts" certain sections which have no interest to the browser. For example, we ordinary folk are not allowed to deal with Hijack logs, or we may not have an interest in the games forum. As an example, after a four hour absence today, on return I found three pages of about 75 postings.. 33 were hijack logs, 11 were games and, for the argument 7 were general discussion. Had I been able to eliminate those from my browsing, it would have left me with 24 only, of particular interest to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

That's the first thing I asked about when I joined. I was told that maybe it could happen with a new forum version, but no luck so far.

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

That is an interesting idea. But, this forum runs on IPB software; it may not support that.

However, I am no expert at the software, nor am I a forum coder, so I really can't say if it is feasible or not!! :thumbsup:

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

The closest option to what you want to do would be to subscribe to particular forums. This would roughly be the same as subscribing to a particular topic, but you would receive notification when there are any new replies/topics within the forum.

Not sure if this helps you out. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

It can be done.

I'm a member of a forum that has this feature in their board. Another forum I'm a member of has the ability to allow you to choose the refresh rate of the posts page, instead of constantly clicking on the Refresh page just to see if someone answered your post, or to see if anyone even read your post.

Both boards are Invision Power Board.

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:16 AM

It can be done.

I'm a member of a forum that has this feature in their board. Another forum I'm a member of has the ability to allow you to choose the refresh rate of the posts page, instead of constantly clicking on the Refresh page just to see if someone answered your post, or to see if anyone even read your post.

Hi walkman,
Yes, another good one. You can , of course, get email notification if your post has been answered,,but that is a little clumsy.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

It can be done.

Hi walkman,
Yes, another good one. You can , of course, get email notification if your post has been answered,,but that is a little clumsy.

Where have you been?..LOL :thumbsup: That feature is already available for you right here, and probably all other forum boards. But, if you want to do that, then all you would need is something like POP Peeper, or even MSN Messanger, or similar, and it'll notify you when you have email in your email box, without having to actually go to your email account. It'll just pop up a message or such on your Taskbar.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

All my friends and I use POP PEEPER for our Hotmail.Sits in task bar, and set it to check emails as often as you please.So simple to use and so effective. :thumbsup:

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

Sorry. Not with you on your last post Walkman?? Ihave my normal email constantly running so have no need for a third party program. If such a message should arrive, then I know immediately, should I be sitting at the computer, Otherwise it is there immediately on access. Maybe I should explain that by "clumsy" I personally mean that was not the intended meaning in this thread. The email notification is not a problem, it is the browsing in the forum.

#10 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:50 AM

Do you mean in the sense of 'clumsy' that there may be a constant stream of emails?

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#11 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:35 AM

I think we, or maybe I, have lost our way in this thread (which I started). If you read my opening post perhaps it will clarify what it is I suggested. It has nothing to do with Email notification!

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:44 AM

To the far right of each "Blue Bar" that has the section title in it, there's a "-" symbol. Click it to collapse that particular area. Click it again (it changes to a "+" symbol) to return it to normal. Example: In the first section "Operating Systems", to the far right of the words (in the same blue bar) there's a "-" symbol, click it to collapse "Operating Systems". You will still see the section title, but not the topics in it. It should stay this way on your next visit (might not if you delete cookies and whatnot).

Not exactly what you might be looking for, but is it close enough? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#13 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Steve. It isnt what I was looking for, but I had no idea the facility was there. Not quite sure how I would make use of it, but I'll experiment for a few days. I can see, looking back (your post brought it to my attention), that I should have stated that I am referring, in my first post, to selection of "new posts"

Edited by uhaligani, 13 February 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hmmm....ok, perhaps THIS or THIS will help?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#15 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Nah. Tks. Dont worry about it it was just a thought. I want to look at "all posts", but wanted to exclude those in which I had no interest such as, for example, discussions.

Edited by uhaligani, 14 February 2007 - 04:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users