Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drives Not Recognized?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:13 AM

I have a brand new Windows XP Media Center Core 2 Duo HP computer.

From my old computer I took my internal hard drive (with all my photos on it) and put it in a USB 2.0 enclosure so now it acts just like an external HD (called "K" drive now). I also have a second external HD with digital video on it (called "L" drive).

I have had this happen at least twice: I am working in my photo software (has happened in more than one piece of software) and all of the sudden my K drive is no longer recognized by my computer. The hard drive is on but it does not show up in "my computer." Same with the L drive; it is just not recognized by my computer. As soon as I reboot, both of them show back up in "my computer."

Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Is this just something I have to live with?

I really appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

I suspect that this has to do with drive letter assignments. Go to Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Make sure that everything that you use is plugged into the USB at this point.

Scroll down the devices that are plugged in and look for any problems with the drive letters assigned. Any duplication of drive letters will have to be corrected by right clicking on the device and selecting "Change drive letter".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

John:
Thanks. I typed in exactly as you typed it without the quotes and there is no such file found on my system. Is there another way to get there? Much appreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm starting to think that there may be malware involved here.

Try this:
Start...Control Panel (may need Classic view for this)...Administrative Tools...Computer Management...Disk Management (in the Storage section).

To rule out malware, try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

I got there no problem using the control panel and everything looks good. No conflicts in drive letters. I can try to post a screen shot of it if you think useful?

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

Perhaps try that one winxp powertoy tweak ui i think. It has a gui for drive letters and shows if you hid any drives.

Posted Image

#7 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:31 AM

No clue what that means; sorry.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

Try the free scan here: http://safety.live.com/

#9 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Sorry, I was in a hurry before, I couldn't post a link.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c...wertoySetup.exe

A nice little toy from the micro$oft peoples. I think I remember it having a drive letter assignment thing built in there.

Posted Image

#10 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

The scanner does not work on my computer. I have XP Media Center and it says I need Pro or Home. I tried it in both Firefox and IE. Neither would work.

I run AVG constantly and have Counter Spy. Both tell me I am clean though. Any other thoughts?

p.s. It has not happened since I posted. But just serendipity, I know.

#11 MarieBoyer

MarieBoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

Sorry, I was in a hurry before, I couldn't post a link.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c...wertoySetup.exe

A nice little toy from the micro$oft peoples. I think I remember it having a drive letter assignment thing built in there.

Thanks so much! I installed this device. I found the drive letters thingy but the default looks good to me. Everything looks okay to me. Could be that I am such a novice I am missing something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users