Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu On Drive Connected To A Pci Raid Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

Greetings all!

Here's the skinny:

I want to know whether it's possible (and if so, how) to install Ubuntu 6.10 on a hard drive which is connected to a PCI RAID expansion card.

Here are the current system spec's:

Motherboard: Asus P5L-MX (this M/B has only one IDE slot, which is why I'm using the PCI card for additional drives)
Hard Disk Drives: 1.(Primary Master IDE) 250GB (contains 2 logical drives and 1 Primary partition); 2.(USB External) 160GB; 3.(PCI RAID card using IDE setting) 15GB; all disks formatted using NTFS
OS: MS Windows XP Pro SP2 (residing on the Primary Partition of the IDE Primary Master drive)

What want to do:

Install Ubuntu Linux 6.10 on the 15GB drive, leaving the Windows XP installation untouched, creating a dual-boot setup.

Suggestions? Comments? Anecdotes? I'm lost with Linux, so I'm very cautious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:35 AM

Well you're going to loose Windows boot loader. It will be replaced with grub. But, that's no biggy, grub is a much more robust boot loader and it recognizes all other distros.

First thing you need to do is clean up your 15 Gb hard drive. After you've cleaned it up, Insert the Ubuntu disc/DVD. It should spot the drive. Answer the questions. Make sure when you get to the part about partitioning, the you only format that one Hdd. You'll need 1 partition for / ,(should be no smaller than 2 Gb, I usually go about 4Gb) 1 partiton for /home , and one swap partition (at least 256 Mb, I go 1Gb). The installation program should take care of the rest.

Just to be safe and prudent. Go to Ubuntu's wiki and check RAID support.

RAID Stuff
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

If you're pretty new to linux, I would reccomend a slightly different setup for your partitions.
drop the disk in,
boot the computer off of it
check the "automagically setup partitions" (making sure you are only using the 15GB drive)
partitions and mount points are not what you really want to be learning right now, learn the lay of the land before you start digging for oil.

Edited by Jombee, 12 February 2007 - 09:01 AM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Jombee, are you saying I should disconnect the drive whereupon Windows is installed prior to installin Ubuntu (with automatic partitioning)? Wouldn't that cause some issues with the boot loaders (both Windows and grub?) Or are you saying that I should just be sure to have the 15GB drive selected when I set it up?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 February 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:57 AM

you're correct in thinking disconnecting the windows drive will screw with the bootloader,
yes what I was getting at was make darn sure it's the 15 gig drive you're formatting.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

Alright, thanks! Let me just work up enough courage to attempt it. Where's me Jack Daniels?

#7 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

Alright, thanks! Let me just work up enough courage to attempt it. Where's me Jack Daniels?

ahhh liquid courage.
that's the good stuff.

really though, it's not that scary once you get going. especially Ubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users