Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"giffy" Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aus_E

aus_E

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hullo to all forum users... :thumbsup:
This is my first time for asking for help on this forum...I hope I have posted to the correct category.
I had recently downloaded the programme Giffy...and now want to remove this from my PC. It's not in All Programmes...so can't uninstall it there.
I have manually removed/deleted all references to it that I can see...but when right clicking on a gif. the following references still remain in the drop down window.
Is there anyone out there who is familiar with this software...and a suggestion as to how I can remove it from this window also?
I have enclosed a snap shot of it.....I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will show up as it was planned!!!

Posted Image
Thanking you in anticpation.
Cheers.

aus_ Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

Have you looked at the link below?
http://freeware4u.com/shots/giffy/help.htm

Uninstall:
1. run: uninstall.bat
(this will remove association with the image files).
2. you may delete program files.

Run Setup.bat again if you would like to recreate associations.

The simple thing may be to reinstall and then run the uninstall.bat to remove the associations.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Uninstall:

The simple thing may be to reinstall and then run the uninstall.bat to remove the associations.

Thank you so much..no I hadn't looked at the link....but I will get cracking on it straight away....
Thanks for your time and effort to get me sorted...much appreciated.

aus_ Posted Image

#4 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Uninstall:

Thank you so much..no I hadn't looked at the link....but I will get cracking on it straight away....
Thanks for your time and effort to get me sorted...much appreciated.

Hullo again 'buddy215' .....
I am totally lost now....
I have followed your link..( I am new to computing, so please bare with me).....and I have re installed this very small "Giffy"download....but I see no "un install" feature that comes with it...how and where do I get to run uninstall.bat from? I see reference to it on your link....but not an option to use it....or Setup.bat for that matter. It isn't part of the "Giffy"download.
Other than completely removing the exe download from Programme files...which is very simply clicking on "Delete."....so far as I can see, that doesn't remove the 2 references in the dropdown window as in the picture in my posting.
Sorry to be a nuisance.....
Thanks again.
aus_ Posted Image

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

Have you checked in the tools listing in the header? Is there a help file?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hi again....
I have added the snapshot of Giffy in it's entirity....and I don't see a Help option. In fact there's not much to it at all. Unless I have misunderstood your question of "Have you checked in the tools listing in the header?"
Posted Image
I did a bit of a Google search earlier...typing in words to the effect of "Help to uninstall Giffy"....or similar. It led me to another forum which had a posting from a user with the same problem ( although dated back to a couple of years earlier.) Didn't see a response listed to that request for help.
I had hope that there may be someone out there who has recently found themselves in the same boat...and has worked their way around it.
Thanks again.
Cheers....
aus_ Posted Image

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

In the link of my first post was a picture of the main window for Jiffy. In the tool bar of the main window it shows a tool and help buttons. What do you see when you click on those buttons? Heck, click on all of the buttons and see if there is any option to remove associations.

After doing the above and you still can't find any way to change associations, check out the link below.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Edited by buddy215, 12 February 2007 - 08:55 AM.

#8 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thanks again for your attempts to help me. Yes I see your point, regards the tool bar bar pictured in your first posting .........and it may solve the problem if this window were available in my version of Giffy. The screen shot below...which was taken from that link/site...was not included in the setup for Giffy. All that came with the download was the one window....with the big "Giffy" in grey....in the middle of it. ( Unless I am so blind that I don't see it...I've done a file search. Not hidden anywhere that I can see.)
Posted Image
I have followed your last link....and I am totally in the dark when it comes to that option. My 'limited' understanding of computers has no idea how to comprehend it....and is probably something that I best get local technical assistance for. This Granny is not very computer savvy I'm afraid.
However....I am greatful to you for volunteering your time thus far to try and get me out of a jam.
Thankyou once again.
Cheers.
aus_ Posted Image

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

The first link was to a small program you could use to set associations back to your computer's default settings. The link below has info for customizing those settings. Since it appears that you have a "partial" program that you can't use to change those settings I would attempt the change using the directions in the link below.
How to change file associations in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

#10 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:15 PM

The first link was to a small program you could use to set associations back to your computer's default settings. The link below has info for customizing those settings. Since it appears that you have a "partial" program that you can't use to change those settings I would attempt the change using the directions in the link below.
How to change file associations in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Thanks.....I'm going to have to think awhile on that one....quite awhile.
I'ts all double dutch to me!!!!
However, I will sort my way through it, I'm sure.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
aus_ Posted Image

#11 aus_E

aus_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hullo again... :flowers:
just wanting to let you know that I have successfully re installed Giffy Image Convertor 2.3 :thumbsup: ....this one being the correct, full version of the software and downloaded from http://www.soft32.com/download_81477.html
This has the un install option included. I am now back on track and have all references to it deleted.
Thought I'd post this so as to help anyone else in the future who may have downloaded their version from the wrong web site also.
Cheers...

aus_ Posted Image

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for posting back with that information, aus_E.
It could be helpful to someone else, who happens to run into the same problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users