Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time Travel Question That Will Make Your Head Spin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Here is a question for you if you say you would like to travel to the past with time travel consider the following:
Posted Image

does the past still exist? does it exist so you can actually go back or is it gone because it has moved on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:09 AM

It no longer exists, but, IF you could go back then it would exist. The future would not exist and still be waiting to find out what happened. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Its the past its gone. The future has not came but I doubt there will ever be a way for man to travel in time.

#4 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

but now think of this. Time is relative. It speeds up or slows down depending on how fast one thing is moving relative to something else. Einstine the person who found this theory out also said that the closer we come to traveling at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), the more time would appear to slow down for us from the perspective of someone who, in relation to us, was not moving.

to put this simpily imagne the following:
Imagine you're standing on Earth holding a clock. Your friend is in a rocket zooming past you at nearly 186,000 miles per second. Your friend is also holding a clock. If you could see your friend's clock, you'd notice that it seems to be moving a lot more slowly than yours. Your friend, on the other hand, thinks the clock in the rocket is moving just fine, and it's your clock that seems to be moving more slowly.

For a much better explnation see the following....

Einstein came up with an example to show the effects of time dilation that he called the "twin paradox." It's a lot like the Time Traveler game you just played. Let's try it out with a pair of pretend twins, Al and Bert, both of whom are 10 years old in their highly futuristic universe.

Al's parents decide to send him to summer camp in the Alpha-3 star system, which is 25 light-years away (a light-year is the distance light travels in a year). Bert doesn't want to go and stays home on Earth. So Al sets out on his own. Wanting him to get there as quickly as possible, his parents pay extra and send him at 99.99 percent the speed of light.

The trip to the star and back takes 50 years. What happens when Al returns? His twin brother is now 60 years old, but Al is only 10 and a half. How can this be? Al was away for 50 years but only aged by half a year. Has Al just discovered the fountain of youth?

Not at all. Al's trip into space lasted only a half year for him, but on Earth 50 years passed. Does this mean that Al can live forever? Nope. He may have aged by only half a year in the time it took 50 years to pass on Earth, but he also only lived half a year. And since time can slow down but never goes backwards, there's no way he could grow younger.

So in the view of the person traveling, you went into the future!

Edited by tiverty, 11 February 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

That makes no sense.

He traveled 50 years but ages only half a year. It took 50 years for him to get there and back so he would have aged too.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_timeline

I like the "Back to the Future" version. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Edited by yano, 13 February 2007 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users