Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows Defender Even Do Anything? I Dont Think It Does...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

Ok I have Windows Defender. Along with SpyCatcher, AVG anti virus and AVG anti spyware, Spyware Terminator, VundoFix, Ad-Aware SE, Spyware Doctor and Spybot S&D. Reciently found that I have a pop up generator. So I did a scan with Windows Defenter can came back clean. I then did a scan with every single other program I have and EVERY program came back with multiple fairly serious threats. So basically 50 viruses got past Windows Defender. So obviously it does not find viruses effectively. Do what does it do? Should I just remove it?
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:05 AM

Windows Defender is an anti-spyware tool not an anti-virus. Using more than one anti-spyware program increases your protection coverage. No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security industry is in a constant state of change with new infections coming out on a daily basis. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products to supplement your anti-virus and scanning in safe mode provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users