Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Video Gallery Script?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aster77

aster77

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hi all... I'm putting together a website, but don't have a ton of experience - some basic html/css is about the reach of my knowledge right now.

I'd like to have a movie section on the site that contains a still thumbnail, text description and link to the video, but that also updates automatically as I add new videos. For example, if I wanted only 6 videos on a single page, it would insert the new videos and shuffle the old ones to later pages, updating the links & such. Right now I've set this up manually, so I have to go in and rearrange each page, add new ones, etc.

I know there are some elaborate scripts that will handle this, but I want something really simple and clean that I can easily integrate into the look of the site. Anyone have recommendations? Would be much appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:42 PM

Scritps do not have to be elaborate or fancy, but you will need some sort of script if you want things updated automatically. You are also going to need some way dynamically generate your html content. It would help a little if we knew what sort of programming experience you have outside of html and css, neither of which can do what you want.

#3 aster77

aster77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I have no illusions about being able to program it myself. Looking back at my original post I realize it wasn't really made clear - I'm looking for an existing customizable script that can do the job. I know there are bunch of CMSs that have that function, but I need something really simple that visually integrates well with an existing site.

Was assuming there'd be many scripts available for this, but no luck so far... so thought I'd ask on here.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Have you considered maybe incorporating some sort of free forum software? What sort of existing site do you already have? And what is it running on?

#5 aster77

aster77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

I restore antique photos and films, and the site will be a display/archive of them - hence the movie gallery. I've looked at some forum software, but again, a lot of it seems too elaborate.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

Ok, I asked the wrong question. L:et me try again. I am assuming that you already have a web page somewhere. Are you renting server space? If you are renting space, the only requirement that you may need is Tomcat or Apache running to serve up the forum. The nice thing about forum software is that most of the work is done for you. True, it might take some custom hacks to get it to look just like you want, but in the long run it is going to be way easier than trying to create your own scripts.

So to answer your original question, no, I don't know of any scripts that you can easily adapt to your purpose, mainly because what you want to accomplish is not trivial. I have scripts to update my web pages, but they would be useless to you because they are designed for my content, and my specific server set-up. And scripting itself can be somewhat, I don't know, sophisticated I suppose (not sure if that is the right word), because to alter a script, you need to know something about scripting, which implies some knowledge of programming.

So in order to not discourage you, I can see that you have essentially six options.
1. You do static html pages that are manually updated every time you want to change content.
2. You invest time in learning how to do scripting and all of the server side stuff so that you can do what you want.
3. You spend some time learning how to adapt pre-existing forum software, which often can come down to css and html hacks of the original script.(Or you hire/get someone to do it for you).
4. You hire someone to create the scripts you need and teach you how to maintain them.
5. You hire someone to create a custom app for you that allows you to specify content, and it generates the pages for you (Surprisingly, this doesn't have to be that expensive)
6. You hire someone to take care of all of it for you.

There may be other options, but those are all that I can think of right off the top of my head. I would be willing to discuss the merits of each option if you like.

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

I used jalbum to accomplish sort of what you are trying to do.
Mine is only a picture gallery (no videos), but you might want
to check it out.
http://jalbum.net/
http://www.rawcreations.net/gallery/ <--my pictures

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users