Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Length Dsl Lines(asdl) Can Run From The Central Office

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

I am 16 miles away from where we pay our bills at. It over 84k feet then.

I read ASDL and the other 2 forms of internet can only go 15,000ft to 18,000ft at the most.

Yet somehow not on my road but further away a bit on the main road dsl is there.

Now I could fight as the neighbors did and get it but I was told it was slower than dial up in the day time yet 3 times more expensive(40 bucks for 384kbps 128k upload). Not to mention 200-235 plus tax installation fee!

100 bucks for the modem and 100 bucks install so thats normal the 35 is for when you dont have a NIC card.
I have one....

So how come I can get it? I fear I will never get dsl nor hundreds of my other neighbors within 5 miles or so of my house.

If we do we will never get the shown speeds will we?

I fear my only option is a t1 line but I could pay thousands to get it out here. If I had to run it from the main office it would be 25k I think? 10 bucks a foot I read.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Satellite is probably your best option. How do you get your TV? Is cable available?

Another benefit of the cable modem for Internet access is that, unlike ADSL, its performance doesn't depend on distance from the central cable office. A digital CATV system is designed to provide digital signals at a particular quality to customer households. On the upstream side, the burst modulator in cable modems is programmed with the distance from the head-end, and provides the proper signal strength for accurate transmission.

A T1 line would probably cost you $1000 to $2000 a month plus install.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

The "central office" is not always where you pay your bill. It may be a small building that you may not recognize. You need to speak with the "provisioning manager" and get the exact footage.

Here is an overview of what affects DSL performance from a twisted pair perspective: http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.01/gr...vailability.htm

Edit: fix link

Edited by Animal, 10 February 2007 - 06:57 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

I got a quote for a t1 for like I think 500-800 a month.

I called my local phone co. about the t1 they have not got back to me but once and missed me. I called them back and am still waiting.

We dont get tv like cable or dish. We get regular tv you know where you turn it on and there is like 2 programs you want to watch any 24 hours ha ha and thats always at night starting at 7-10.

But at least I can watch it in HD with my full 5.1 surround sound speakers.

Anyways thanks for the info.

Satellite has bad latency problems as is quite the expense too. Most companies are pathetic from the reviews and it goes out during storms and when its cloudy bad before a storm.

Cable is not on my road but is like just 2000 feet or so from me just like DSL lines.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 10 February 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:13 AM

I live out in the sticks, and other than dial-up, my only option is satellite, which I've been using for about 5yrs.
I'm using Hughes.net.
While reception during bad weather used to be a big problem, it has improved considerably since I first started using it.
Very seldom, will I lose connection for more than a few seconds during severe storms, and cloudy days don't affect me at all.
The technology is getting better, and even with the few times I temporarily lose connection, it still beats the hell out of dial-up. :thumbsup:
I wouldn't switch back, for any reason.

The biggest expense with satellite, is the initial set-up.
I beleive that's about $600, if I'm not mistaken, but the payment's can be spread out over several months.
It's been so long, I forgot. :flowers:
Once it's payed for, it costs me about $50 a month.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:08 AM

Thats good you are one of the lucky few. I have read a lot of bad about that one,direct way and wildblue. Its just the latency wouldnt work for some is why people dont like it.

I am going to do something or at least I plan to think about it once I get a price. Maybe a t1 but thats for my buisiness plan otherwise if DSL could get to me and be worth a flip several 1.0mb plans with the modems morphed into one for a NICE speed. Because you wont get the 1.0 very often if ever so you get several and put them together and you have over 1.0 all the time.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

I live out in the sticks, and other than dial-up, my only option is satellite, which I've been using for about 5yrs.
I'm using Hughes.net.
While reception during bad weather used to be a big problem, it has improved considerably since I first started using it.

I also use Hughes.net up here in Canada CGM.
Hughes.net offers a "Commercial Class" for community systems populated with up to 30 computers.

This is straight from the brochure;
"The commercial grade antenna and extra powerful transmitter not only connectivity during rainstorms but will handle service plans up to 500 Kb/s uplink and 2000 Kb/s downlink."

Don't know what you've read "bad" about the Hughes system,but has never let me down!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

As Cows said, the only potential problem with satellite, is latency, which is only a problem if you do any online gaming, which I don't.
I believe it's about a 2-3 second delay, and after dialup, 2-3 seconds is nothing. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Thought about that issue after I had posted.

Now with the accelerators in place the delay is a mere .6 of a second!
I guess if you're a serious gamer even .6 of a second would make a difference.

But you're right tg1911, .6 of a second sure beats dial-up!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

Yet another option that you might not have looked into is wireless. It works like short range radio so you might need to be witin 5 miles or so of the nearest antenna, but it's still worth a shot to google for wireless providers in your area. You would need line-of-sight to your nearest antenna. Trees and weather may cause interference.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

I might become are wireless ISP as since probably over 100 homes in my area have no DSL and what they have is slow to the point of dial up being as fast from what I heard from the neighbors. There are no wireless isps in my area. I am out in the boonies.

Accelerators can make the delay be gone how?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users