Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird Or Eudora?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

well this is actually 2 questions, but the first is most important.

When i set up my email client(Eudora or Thunderbird) how do i figure out the incoming and outgoing servers? Or do any of you know the incoming and outgoing servers for hotmail.com...well Windows Live Mail(same thing)? Please please please help with the above question!!!

My second question is, what is a btr email client for me to use, Eudora Lite or Thunderbird?

Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hi moomoo:

For setting up the incoming and outgoing servers, you need to contact your e-mail provider. Chances are pretty good that they have a guide on their website and you can simply follow the directions on the page.

As for whether Eudora or Thunderbird is better, I don't know. I've never used Eudora.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

here's a link to how to set it up with outlook: [url="http://"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287424"]link[/url]. Maybe you can apply the same steps with Eudora or Thunderbird? Also it seems as though you cant use it with the free hotmail account. i think you need to have the premium or something.

As far as for which is better, I actually just asked that question here not too long ago (i think 2-3 threads below this?). As with everything, it seems that theres really no clear winner. mostly just opinions. As for me, Im going to give Thunderbird a try soon.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

Outloook and Thunderbird have very different configurations. While the servers would be the same in both instances, how you navigate to the the appropriate locations in each of the e-mail clients is very different. Thunderbird is similar to the old - that is prior to AOL ownership - Netscape and also Mozilla. No surprise there as all three were produced - initially anyway - by Mozilla.

I suspect whether you would need to buy the premium version in order for it to work would depend entirely on whether you have a separate ISP or not.

Note also: if you have a different e-mail account, generally you would choose one outgoing server as the default and send all mail through it. This doesn't always work however.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

My second question is, what is a btr email client for me to use, Eudora Lite or Thunderbird?

They are both very good email clients. I have used both & had no problems with either of them. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide which one you like better. Eudora Lite has limitations (see link below). If you want more features, you will either have to use the sponsored mode, or the pro mode. Thunderbird is free with all the features available plus the abilty to add extensions to increase functionability.

Eudora Light vs Pro

#6 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for all your responses!

Im going to give thunderbird a try but im still having trouble with the stupid incoming and outgoing!!!

im not sure about my email provider site...does hotmail have a site besides hotmail.com?

And what does my ISP (Cogeco) have to do with this?

Thanks,
Nick

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

And what does my ISP (Cogeco) have to do with this?

You need the server information from your ISP to input in the email setup.

Take a look at think I'm providing: http://www.cogeco.com/en/internet_support_email_o.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:52 AM

Here's a few links that might help:
How to set up a new email account in Thunderbird
Using webmail with your email client
Getting started with Thunderbird
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

thanks tg1911!

I just got on now and im going to read them right now, il let you know ifi get it,
Thanks all!

#10 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:14 AM

ok its basically working thanks to your guides tg! thank you very much!

I downloaded the add ons (webmail and hotmail for webmail) and then i set up an account, incoming was mail.hotmail.com and outgoing was smtp.cogeco.ca. Now it sort of works, to test i sent an email to my brother and the email was sent and he received it, but i went to fetch mail off my account and it told me mail.hotmail.com could not connect because the connection was refused. What i noticed is it didnt ask for my password, if i can send a message i should be able to log in, am i right?

#11 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

ok its basically working thanks to your guides tg! thank you very much!

I downloaded the add ons (webmail and hotmail for webmail) and then i set up an account, incoming was mail.hotmail.com and outgoing was smtp.cogeco.ca. Now it sort of works, to test i sent an email to my brother and the email was sent and he received it, but i went to fetch mail off my account and it told me mail.hotmail.com could not connect because the connection was refused. What i noticed is it didnt ask for my password, if i can send a message i should be able to log in, am i right?

You use the outgoing server from your ISP so that is ok to send. Getting mail in a POP3 manner is not allowed anymore only but with a premium account. A good alternative is gmail with a 2GB storage facility and unlimited pop3 possibilities

#12 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

so i gotta get a new email again :| aww man.. THIS IS ALL MICROSOFTS FAULT!!! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO TAKE OVER EVERY GOOD THING I FIND?!?! meh im gonna get a gmail account...

Thanks alot for all the posts and ill post back after i get it

#13 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

Ok who knows some other email servers besides MSN and Hotmail that ill still be able to use my msn messenger with?

#14 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:59 AM

disregard above, i have gmail now =D

Id like to know now is it possible to log in my Live Messenger with My GMail account? My friend does it somehow but hes never on to ask.

Thanks,
Nick

#15 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

As far as I am aware, Hotmail cannot be configured within an e-mail program unless you pay for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users