Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Question.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

This is weird.PC performing great,turned off as per normal.One hour later,cannot access the net.Popup after popup said invalid IP Address.Rang service providor,and had a 1.5 hr hassle with some Indian Call Centre Girl who couldn't understand me and I sure as hell couldn't understand her.After test after test I was told to call a local Technician.Sat night here and no techys.In desperation, I did a system restore as a last resort and this fixed the problem,whatever it was.The reason I am posting is that there may be a guru which may have an explanation for the sudden loss of my IP Address.The only thing that happened right at this time was Foldahome was changing over from one work unit to the new one,and I thought maybe this could have caused the weird behavior.Any help would be appreciated so I can prevent same happening in the future.Windows XP SP2.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 10 February 2007 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

Sounds like you fixed it.
If you have the problem again, try one of these. Oh, and about the language problem, I feel your pain. Had a hard time following Hogan in "Crocodile Dundee". Thank goodness for subtitles!

If you removed Norton recently:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812335
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use. We actually tested it on a test machine that was having a Winsock problem due to some Adware removal, and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.

Pros: May save you hours of headaches; can fix tricky connection problems

Cons: Not actively supported or developed

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
Freeware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want to try the program above:

To fix this, repairing your Winsock might work. You can do so by opening the command shell (Start > Run > cmd.exe) and type netsh winsock reset and restart your computer. This command only works in Windows XP with service pack 2 installed.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reponse Buddy 215.Will save in docs for future reference. :thumbsup:
When I lost my internet connection,I went into withdrawal and stressed. :flowers:
Never used Norton due to neg feed back from users and said headaches to remove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users