Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Problems..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymousone

Anonymousone

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

When I'm online, sometimes my computer will randomly give me a message saying "Generic host for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close..," then my internet disconnects and won't let me reconnect. Also, Java programs close sometimes. Yes I have the most recent version of Java..

I highly doubt it's a virus, because I just reinstalled Windows. I only transferred pictures/music and a few trusted programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

Looking around on the web, a couple of things stand out as the cause. One is using old HP printers, another is Windows is not updated. Along with those I would ask if your hard drive is reaching its storage capacity and if you have cleaned out your temp files, cookies, etc.
It was also mentioned that it is common for malware to cause this. I know you think you are clean, but I would recommend using the program in the link below as a check on your programs. Run the program in safe mode.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Edited by buddy215, 10 February 2007 - 02:00 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Anonymousone

Anonymousone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

It might be the printer problem, I've always had problems with it. If I simply unplug the printer will it stop (if that's the source of the problem)?

Along with those I would ask if your hard drive is reaching its storage capacity and if you have cleaned out your temp files, cookies, etc.

I have a 99 GBs unused, everything's cleaned out.

I'll do the scan in a sec.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

The link below has comments and solutions if it is your printer that is causing the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821690
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Anonymousone

Anonymousone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

My error message is quite different than the example's..

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/725/problemthingno0.jpg

Followed the steps (just kept it unplugged) and the problem persists. Scan came up with nothing

#6 Anonymousone

Anonymousone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

I tried this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;894391

No problems within the last 5 minutes. Going to wait a few hours before I call it fixed.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

So, you were missing that update? Hope that solves the problem. Looking at the link you gave, thought I should point out one line in it in case you missed it.
"For Windows XP SP2, you may experience one last Generic Host Process error upon restart after you install this hotfix. This is from the previous system shutdown before the new version installation was completed. "

#8 Anonymousone

Anonymousone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

No, it's the same as always. Rebooting now too. I see two things in processes that aren't normal each time I boot, might be spyware. I'm going to post a Hijack This log, thanks for the help though.

Edited by Anonymousone, 13 February 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

The link below has comments and solutions if it is your printer that is causing the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821690

@Anonymousone I have looked at the picture and Microsoft website gives excactly that particular message. Could you tell us which entries are in the processes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users