Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Won't Boot At All

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonys gal

tonys gal

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have a computer that is barely a year old (not under warranty), and it will not boot up at all. we were having problems with it and it seemed to be infected but we never got a chance to clean it up before it crashed. i can turn on the power button, and it will let me select safe mode to boot but it will just get hung up and never boot up. i've tried everyway imagineable to use the factory cd to restore it from startup but it will get about halfway through and give me the blue screen of death. sometimes it won't even get that far.

i know its probably a hopeless cause but is there ANYTHING else i might be able to do without spending $60 just to find out what's wrong with it and another $100+ to fix it?

i know its a shot in the dark but is there a magical button i can push or a magical software i can buy to at least get it to boot up where i can get my virus scans going?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

You said that you got a blue screen of death. Do you have the exact message? That will help in pin-pointing the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"?

"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot". Also see "Guide to Windows XP Recovery Features".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 tonys gal

tonys gal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

You said that you got a blue screen of death. Do you have the exact message? That will help in pin-pointing the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

i tried to get that far today and it wouldn't even run the recovery program, so i don't know what the message was now :flowers:

#5 tonys gal

tonys gal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:30 PM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration"?

"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot". Also see "Guide to Windows XP Recovery Features".

i tried Last known good config and nothing happened, it just froze :thumbsup: i went to the link you posted on what to do when windows wont boot and realized that the computer in question doesn't have a floppy drive so i couldn't try to copy files from a: trick

#6 tonys gal

tonys gal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

here is the order of things i did today. i hooked up the problem PC and here's what i did:

:huh: F8 - last known good config - enter - nothing happened, it just froze on the last screen
:flowers: with recovery CD in, i followed the directions to type R - start recovery - the bar came up across the bottom and said 'preparing system recovery options' and then nothing else happened it just froze on that screen.
:thumbsup: restarted and tried last step again, only this time instead of getting the bar across the bottom with "preparing system recovery options" it said

Disk I/O error
Press a key to restart
Boot from CD:

Non-system disk or disk error
Press any key to continue (when any key is pressed, system restarts and freezes)

:inlove: Instead of typing R to start recovery, i tried the F11 option to start recovery and got a black screen and had to restart

:huh: figured out at this point that using CTL ALT Del to restart yields a frozen computer so I had to manually shut down and restart, tried F8 again this time selected Safe Mode. when i did this, the following lines showed up

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\KDCOM.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\BOOTVID.DLL
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\config\system

and then it restarts on its own after a minute or so.

B) tried F8 again, and got this message

Disk read error occured
Press Ctl + Alt + Del to restart

:trumpet: tried last step again, without recovery cd in, but with same results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users