Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Hard Drive, Still Having Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gabby_Abbey

Gabby_Abbey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

We've had SO many problems with this thing. First Internet Explorer died so we got firefox (love it) and then it just crashed. It couldn't locate a file, said it was corrupted, so we re-installed windows, wiping everything out. THat worked for a couple days, then it REALLY died. Said it couldn't read disk? So we bought a new hard drive, installed it, reinstalled windows XP pro, and it's working pretty good except about once a day, it just freezes. THe first time, I was able to get the little options menu up and tell it restart, but last night it froze for HOURS and we had to just turn it off and back on ( I know, cringe!)

So, WHAT could be wrong with this piece of crap? ANy ideas at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

What is the piece of crap? Can you post some specs for us?

Posted Image

#3 Gabby_Abbey

Gabby_Abbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

the CPU is an HP Pavillion 531w..?

Intel Celeron
1300MHz
1.29 GHz
512 MB of RAM

That is the extent of my knowledge, if you need more indo, i just need to know how to get it.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

I would suspect the crappy HP (possible Bestec) power supply is failing.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Gabby_Abbey

Gabby_Abbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

I've heard that from a couple people, I was just confused as to how that would manifest itself in this way. How do replace the power supply?

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

I've heard that from a couple people, I was just confused as to how that would manifest itself in this way. How do replace the power supply?

Bestec power supplies used in HP/Compaq and Emachines are low quality junk. They die easily and sometimes take the motherboard with them. To change the power supply you need to unplug the power cord then take the case cover off of the computer. Usually four screws on the back of the computer hold the power supply in place. Ther are several connections from the power supply to the motherboard, optical drive(s), floppy drive and hard drive(s). You will need to purchase a decent power supply of the same type (ATX) that is a known good brand with an adequate power rating (usually 200W-300W). You wil have to remember what power plugs go where and in the proper orientation.

I use this power supply as a direct replacement for that HP system. In fact I am running that same power supply in my custon built computer until I buy a replacement for my old 400W unit. It handles my PC quite adequately.

SPARKLE FSP250-60ATV ATX 250W Power Supply 115/230 V UL 1950, CSA C22.2 Level 3, TUV 60950, NEMKO - OEM
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

Look here for a decent, illustrated article about replacing to power supply.

#8 Gabby_Abbey

Gabby_Abbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thank you so much for the great advice, I will get right on this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users