Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SOS

SOS

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi all,

I have been trying to set up a neighbour's wireless setup for a few days now and here's the problem.

Cable modem in attic hardwired to a Linksys WRT54g router and and a PC
Desktop downstairs with a DLink Airplus Xtreme pci card.

Connection from the downstairs desktop keeps dropping for no apparent reason and it then cannot find any wireless networks in range. Reboot the modem and router and it finds a connection but not for long.

However when I have my laptop (wireless card built in) running at the same time and same location as the desktop downstairs it never drops connection.

Could it be a bad pci card and/or is there any benefit in giving the downstairs PC a static ip address?

Any thoughts welcome

Both PCs running Xp pro SP2 and all updated

SOS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

No a static IP address won't help.
That's a flipping good card, but I've had problems with the drivers of those cards. Click here and check out their network troubleshooter, it helped me out a bit.

Also Is it possible to try and move the pc to another spot as wireless sometimes has connectivity problems when you are directly underneat the transmitter.

#3 SOS

SOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply robsie. I am going along to their house later on and will check out exact model number of card and make sure I have the latest drivers.

SOS

#4 SOS

SOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:51 AM

I went along last nught and ensured I had the latest drivers for the Airlink card. I then moved the desktop base unit upstairs beside the router and had no problems with connectivity.

However I then wanted to secure the network so added WPA to the router, desktop and my laptop (testing purposes). Unable to connect at all. Removed WPA and added the MAC addresses of desktop and laptop to wireless security tab of router and was able to connect both computers. I then removed the laptops MAC address and lost conncectivity - so it appears that even though it is an unsecured network I have managed to lock it down to just the desktop having access.

Does that sound about right?

Regards

SOS

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

MAC Address filtering is a way of providing some sort of security - but it's not on a par with WPA or even WEP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users