Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Restarting Iteself. Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kstone77

kstone77

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

:thumbsup: Please help, i'm a pretty inexperienced newbie :flowers:

My computer keeps randomly restarting itself and appears to be getting worse.

I sent the "windows has just recovered from a serious error....." report to microsoft and was told the problem was a driver signing.

I then disabled the automatic restart option in order to get the BSOD (blue screen of death) and got the following error code.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF9DA2C9, 0xB64EFB80, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BF9DA2C9 Base at BF9D4000, Datestamp 439abe39

Does anybody know what this means because I cant relate the above to anything.

massive THANK YOU to anyone that replies as I just don't no where to begin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

nv4_disp.dll is a component of the 'display driver' for the NVidia graphics card inside your PC. It's that which is causing the incompatibility problem.

Updating the NVidia driver may solve the problem:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

You'll need to know which 'family' your card belongs to from the five listed.
You can determine that from Device Manager in Control Panel.

Edited by pip22, 10 February 2007 - 09:30 AM.

#3 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

THANK YOU, your brilliant, I'll give it a shot :thumbsup:

#4 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500, still a little unsure which one of the driver options to pick.

Sorry for being thick :thumbsup:

#5 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

Mm sounds familiar.
Download the forceware driver from the nvidia website, its a 35 mb download, but it works like a charm. Boot into safemode via F8 key at startup and install it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

Here's a link to the download page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

usasma you make it too easy for Kstone, you really do. Well done.

#8 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

Forceware for GeForce GPU's, Unified driver, Got it. Thank You also. Trying it now (this stuff worries me :thumbsup: )

#9 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

I need to be spoonfed unfortunately, but i''ll get there.

Thanx Guys.

#10 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

Yes and you may notice that you will have more functionality with open GL games like Call Of Duty, yaay I love that game!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hi robsie! This is a bit OT, but here I go....

I usually try and give a URL when the person has difficulty in identifying the proper thing to download. Since I'm pretty familiar with video drivers I can usually make a more informed choice about what to download.

This is actually the safest choice - as the link that I gave is by far the most common one used to update video drivers for most people.

BUT, this can also backfire on me - because I have to make certain assumptions when choosing the download. In this case I had to assume:
1) that kstone77 has XP (although this is an XP forum, other OS's have posted here)
2) that kstone77 has the 32 bit version of XP (that's the version that I pointed him at)
3) that the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 is the correct card, and not a mislabling by the program that identified it.

Fortunately, the problem is self-limiting in that, if it doesn't work, kstone77 is likely to post back and let us know (generally the driver won't install if the hardware isn't compatible). Then we can troubleshoot the issues and determine a different approach to the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

Yes good choice as I said before :thumbsup:

#13 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hi All.

I've installed the driver in safe mode (nice one, wouldn't have thought of that). And as I nearly downloaded the XP 64 version, i'm glad you gave me the link to 32. Spot on assumptions. Thank you.

Well everything seems to be working ok, so thanks everyone. You've all helped. I couldn't get passed the BSOD.

Hopefully you wont see me again......on this topic :thumbsup:

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

The driver installation works in Safe Mode? That's amazing! I've shied away from Safe Mode installations unless I use a tool to start the Windows Installer first. I'll give it a try soon! Thanks!

#15 kstone77

kstone77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hi. The driver I installed in safe mode has definately worked ok but, the problem ive been having hasnt yet gone away.

The NVIDEA error code has gone, which I assume the driver installation solved that. But Windows shut down again and it left me this code instead.

And again (sorry) I cant decipher where the error comes from. Could you (or anyone) take a look at this one cos I havnt the foggiest.

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC2B00000, 0x00000000, 0x8058BC1A, 0x000000)

Thanx Again.

Kris (kmstone77)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users