Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 6 Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TWEEKSPARK

TWEEKSPARK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:10 AM

When I launch Internet Explorer 6, my CPU goes to 100%. 75% use by IE 6 the remaining 25% use by lsass.exe. It stays this way for a long time, sometimes 30 minutes, and then just returns to zero use without me doing anything. I can't figure out why. I tried turning off Macafee and didn't change a thing.

I removed IE6, rebooted and re-installed IE6. No change. I even upgraded to IE7. Same thing so I went back to IE6.

I have run Spybot, McAfee antivirus, Spy Sweeper, Super Anti Spyware and Ad-Aware, all with no help.

I posted a hijack this file and here's what was suggested:

I see no signs of viruses or malware in the log. It is clean.

The lsass process is a Windows system process that handles security functions. The file on this system is the correct file.

It could be a problem in IE or it could be a conflict with McAfee (this has been reported on more than a few occasions). Hard to say.

I wuold suggest posting in the XP forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/ . They can assist with non-malware related system issues and help with evaluating running processes.

Cheers.

OT

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by TWEEKSPARK, 10 February 2007 - 06:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:17 AM

Do you have realtime protection enabled for all those programs?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

What happens when if you unplug the Internet connection cable while this is going on? Does it make the process stay longer?

I'd suggest a repair install of Windows as the "easiest" way to fix this. Although it's a PITA (around 65 updates to download afterwards), it'll 'refresh' your installation and you won't lose your programs or data.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TWEEKSPARK

TWEEKSPARK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

I have Macafee Security Center running all the time but I had to disable Spam Killer. It made my internet connection slow as molasas.

#5 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

Had a look at your hijack this log, quite a few processes running there?

A few things:

What version of Mcafee do you have?

Give us some specs of your PC: Run MSinfo32.exe and copy and paste your specs here.

Go into system properties in control panel, go to the advanced tab, click on settings under performance, click on advanced tab and tell me how many megs in your paging file?

Next tell me how much free space you got.

#6 TWEEKSPARK

TWEEKSPARK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

I removed Macafee Internet Security Suite 2006 8.0. Now my IE seems to work fine. My subscription for updates ran out and it was constantly asking me to renue the subscription with popups all the time. I couldn't disable the reminder. VERY ANOYING!!!

Anyway, thanks for all your help with this problem. I will use a different Antivirus product from now on.

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

Take a look a the programs in my sig. They have kept me clean.

#8 TWEEKSPARK

TWEEKSPARK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Fozzie,

I downloaded AVG Free edition and I'm very happy with it. I will try some of the others as you suggested too. I already have been using Spybot S&D for years now.

Thanks for your help!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users