Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:41 AM

I have recently stuffed up my laptop, and I would like to reinstall it, since there are not many important things in my laptop. I am current using an Asus laptop, can anyone please tell me how to do a clean install on windows xp pro? thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:04 AM

It depends what disc(s) you have for it.
Is it a 'proper' Microsoft Windows CD, or is it a manufacturer's CD labelled "Recovery"? The procedure is different according to which type of CD it is. There's even a third possiblity -- no CDs at all -- the recovery files are on the hard disk in a hidden partition and you run the recovery process by selecting "Start Recovery Process" (or some similar wording) from Start->All Programs->Packard Bell->Recovery (that's just an example from a Packard Bell laptop my daughter has).
In this last example, if Windows won't start (so you can't select Recovery from Start->All Programs) the Recovery option should appear automatically when you power up.

If you can tell us what discs you have, if any, we can help you further.

Edited by pip22, 10 February 2007 - 09:15 AM.

#3 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

What make laptop is it? Is it still under warranty?

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

It's a proper microsoft disc, still in seal. and my laptop is still under warrenty, but I would like to reinstall it myself.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

Clean Install Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:58 AM

do I also have to put the driver cd that came from the box with my laptop? and which disc first? windows xp or the asus driver?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

Install Windows first with the XP CD, then update your drivers. There is an excellent discussion in the Tweaking Companion.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

thanks for the help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users