Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Win95 Problem...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

I was given an old Sony PCV70 that otherwise was going to be thrown out. The green activity lights continuously flashes and the floppy drive light stays on. I'm not sure what the flashing green light is telling me, any help? As for the floppy, I've tried a different floppy ribbon and switched the direction of the ribbon...(trying one end then the other in the floppy, mobo). Help with the steady floppy light? Thank you.

Edited by Jus' Mom, 10 February 2007 - 02:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

You may have a memory module that needs replacing or reseating.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you for the info.!

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

If by "green activity light," you mean the hard drive light, it might be that the computer does not have sufficient memory and it is constantly using swap files on the hard drive instead of system memory. Adding memory is a good way to solve the problem. Go to Start -> Run and type:

msinfo32

. . . and hit enter. A window should open that will display information on your computer, such as how much physical memory you have and how much virtual memory you're using. How much memory you need depends on what you're running. But those older computers didn't have so many background memory hogs like firewalls, antivirus and antispyware programs running in the background.

I like to have at least 256 mb RAM on older computers, though they'll run on far less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users