Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Preferences Etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ekih

ekih

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

Used winxp repair function, booting from cd.
Before this I used the file and settings transfer function and saved settings to my hard drive.
After doing this everything looked normal. I loaded Mcaffe security suite and rebooted, every thing normal. I reloaded all the winxp updates and installed, all 64, everything went normal. Rebooted everything came up as normal. Didn't need to use file and transfer function to put things back. Everything was as before. I checked browser and email functions, all was ok.
I switched users to set an email account in the other user. Didn't have the info that I needed so shut down the email program. When logging off and going back to the orig user is when I lost all of my settings. I tried using file and transfer function but that was unavailable. My browser, email client, icons on desktop, picture for wallpaper etc. no longer has my preferences.
When booting one splash screen comes up saying:
invalid boot.ini record
booting from c:\windows
I have tried different system restorals, with no luck.
Any help?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Are you booting to more than one installation of XP?

What were the issues that caused you to do a repair install?

Can you post a copy of your boot.ini file for us to have a look at? It's located at C:\boot.ini. You may have to enable "Show hidden files" to see it. Then, just open it in Notepad and copy the contents to paste here. Don't save it when closing it - that'll just complicate things.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

So you can't actually boot the pc up anymore?

can you boot into safe mode?

# If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
# Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
# Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
# Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
# If there are two options please tell us!
# Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

Now find the boot.ini file, copy it to flash disk and paste it here.

#4 ekih

ekih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

It is not my computer that I am working on. I get it tomorrow aft. I will post the Boot.ini then.
Yes it still boots up.
My friend had invalid copy of winxp. I didn't want to do a new install and figured a repair would fix other things as well as installing a valid copy of winxp.

#5 ekih

ekih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I looked for my boot.ini file, there wasn't one. I guess that is why I was getting the error message. I loaded the boot.ini file from the repair function in WinXP repair. That is what is above.
If the computer was still booting why do I need a boot.ini file?

I still don't know why I lost everything. All the programs are still there and the like.
My desktop picture has gone as well as the shortcut icons on the desktop.
The program Mozzila is missing bookmarks and other preferences.
The program Thunderbird is missing the mail and address book.
I haven't tried anything else.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

I suspect that the files, folders and programs are still there - but they may either be hidden from you, or are in another Windows installation on your hard drive.

You'll have to look at the contents of your hard drive in Windows Explorer to see if there's another Windows installation there. Please post back with a list of the directories that fall immediately under the C: drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ekih

ekih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

Here is the list: C:\

Folders:
ATI
dell
documents and settings
drvrtmp
ontrack
program files
recycler
sierra
system volume information
temp
utilites
windows

Files:
boot.ini
hpfr5550.xml
io.sys
itouch_config_crash_info.txt
itouch_crash_info.txt
msdos.sys
rtldr
pagefile.sys

I have typed out what is in the root of C:, couldn't get the print screen button to copy to clipboard.
I looked under my start menu and programs and most of what is there is empty. If I go to C:/Program Files all appears to be there.

Below is the hijack this log.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:08:49 PM, on 2/12/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Ontrack\Fix-It\mxtask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional 6\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
G:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SMSystemAnalyzer] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional 6\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1171048148937
O16 - DPF: {9B17FE0E-51F2-4692-8B32-8EFB805FC0E7} (HPObjectInstaller Class) - http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/gs/instal...edsolutions.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secur...loadManager.ocx
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/aio/en/check/qdiagh.cab?326
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: Fix-It Task Manager - Ontrack Data International - C:\PROGRA~1\Ontrack\Fix-It\mxtask.exe
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (mctskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: V2i Protector - PowerQuest Corporation - C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe

Edited by ekih, 13 February 2007 - 12:16 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I'd suggest posting your HJT logfile to this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Please read the pinned topics and the instructions before posting your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users