Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Know I Have Viruses, But...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kichan

kichan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

Okay, my boyfriend just looked at my computer today because I told him that a few programs installed themselves when I clicked on an "Ok" button. He told me that I have viruses, and installed a program called Hijakers, or something like that (I apoligize for my complete lack of knowledge), and told me to ask the people on this site what I should do.
If you would please lead me through a process that would rid my computer of its current infestation, I would be much obliged.
Thank you,
Ki-chan

Mod Edit: Edited to close tags. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 10 February 2007 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:27 AM

Welcome to BC Ki-chan :thumbsup:

I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:30 AM

He told me that I have viruses, and installed a program called Hijakers, or something like that

You might be referring to HijackThis (HJT).

HijackThis is an ennumerator.
It lists what is found in certain areas of the registry, or system files, in an easily accessible manner, so that those familiar with the use and reading of HijackThis logs, and windows programs, can determine what is infecting the machine, and how to remove it.

It is not a removal tool.
It will indeed remove the entries listed, but that does not cure the underlying problem.
The problem must be properly identified first, and cured, prior to removing the entries with HJT.
Otherwise, you leave the infection, and remove the keys which are needed to identify and remove it.

Removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified, and correct removal instructions posted, can make the problem undetectable to other detection and removal tools.
Hijack this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the offending program, file, trojan, worm, hijacker, etc.
And this usually requires help.

I suggest you follow Orange Blossom's suggestion.

Edited by tg1911, 10 February 2007 - 01:33 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 kichan

kichan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Thank you very much for your help, and I will proceed to follow Orange Blossom's directions. :thumbsup:

*~mod edit - closed tags - rigel

Edited by rigel, 11 February 2007 - 02:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users