Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Coming Monday Need Help With Xp Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

I've got a new 100GB Seagate hard drive arriving and I need some help on how to reinstall XP. Since I'm not sure what exactly went wrong with my current drive and/or windows program...I think it may be smart just to reinstall XP and start fresh.
Since I've never replaced a HD and have no idea how to install XP (other than just inserting the XP disk) I need some help.
First...can I just physically install the new drive and then transfer any data I need from the old drive(I have the Apricorn EZ upgrade kit also) or do I have to transfer stuff BEFORE I remove the old drive?
Second...can I transfer any of the programs that Dell preinstalled on my old drive to the new drive? Worst case scenario...all I really need is my pics(I do have them burned on CD also).
Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

the last thing you want to do is screw your current drive up.
when the new one comes in take the old one out.
here is a link that should help you out with the details
but instead of adding a drive you want to replace what you have.
just make sure the new drive [bold]jumper[/bold] is set to master

then install windows use this link
the info starts about a quarter way down the page, you might want to print it out, probably should print em both out just in case.

most important, don't do anything until you've thoroughly read through the instructions and asked any questions you might have.
if you break your computer, you won't be able to log on and ask us.

good luck
-Tom

[Edit]
Oh yeah,
once you have windows cleanly installed we can show you how to slave the old disk and copy over the data you want to keep.
I used to do it this way so I didn't accidentally format the wrong drive. <---learned that lesson the hard way

Edited by Jombee, 09 February 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Ok first question is the new Seagate drive going to be your primary drivee.g. C: ?
MCP
MSDST

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

I do have a desktop also...so if I get in trouble I can get back here with questions.

Yes, the new drive is going to be the master drive (I guess)

I have no idea how to set the new drive to 'master'.

I am a computer semi-illiterate

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:01 AM

Well before you start any thing make a copy of those important files either burn them to disk or use a flash drive. I would remove your old hard drive out of the computer or take the cable out. Go here to see info on installing a Seagate. http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/i...ion_assistance/
Once you have installed your hard drive you can go to your bios and see if it is reconised in there and change your boot order so that your cd rom is the first boot device (more info would be available in your mother board book). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us
Assuming all is well you can now boot your computer with your windows cd and install windows but dont forget to format the hard drive first.
MCP
MSDST

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

There's a little plastic piece in the back of the drive. Somewhere on the drive will be a diagram of that location (generally it's a picture of 8 pins (2 rows of 4)) - that will show you how to set the Master (the other choices are usually CS (Cable Select) and Slave).

Generally it's a good idea to put the Master on the far end of the cable -saving the middle connector for the Slave drive (this ensure compatibility in older systems).

Leaving the old drive out is important. You don't need to physically remove it, just unplug the big, flat IDE cable and the power cable. The reason for removing it is that Windows will try and boot from the old drive if it's given the chance - and removing it is the simplest way to prevent this.

Then, as Monty007 has said, just boot off the Windows CD and let it setup the drive for you. Don't forget to install all the drivers for your system after Windows is finished setting up. These are available from the website of the computer manufacturer - or from the websites of the manufacturer of each device on your system.

It's usually best to start with the bare minimum of hardware devices connected. Then, once Windows is installed and those drivers are updated, it's a simple matter to add a device and add it's driver - one at a time until you're done.

Then move on to installing all of your "must have" apps. Once that's done and everything is working smoothly, post back for some advice about imaging this installation (so most of the work will already be done should you need to do it again).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

Just read about a nice website for finding out about your drivers. It has issues with Firefox 2.0 and Vista - but works well with IE7 in Vista.

http://www.driveragent.com/

They charge $29.95 for a one year subscription to download the drivers - but you can just note which drivers they are and download them yourself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

Look at DriverGenius. I use it. Love it!

If you already have drivers that work on your system, back them up with the Program. It will backup all of them and/or just make a backup of the 3rd party drivers specific to your system and hardware.

http://www.download.com/Driver-Genius-Prof...tml?tag=lst-0-1

15-day trial, driver downloads disabled

I make all my backups as .exe files. My older version gives two .exe options and one says something like "super .exe". That's the one I use. Then to restore them, you don't even have to have DriverGenius installed. Just click the .exe file and a nice GUI like Windows Explorer comes up and you tick the drivers you want to install. I prefer copying it from the data backup cd I've made to my Computer, and then restoring my drivers.

Systems are different, but I went into my BIOS before installing Windows again and let it detect the new drive from there.

BTW, double check to be sure, but most hdd's are already set as master when you take them out of the box.

I just replaced my hdd a few weeks ago. This old grandma sweat some bullets over it, but it was really a piece of cake. You can do it!

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Sorry I just assumed you would be purchasing a Sata drive but is it IDE?
MCP
MSDST

#10 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

Monty007....it's an ATA not a SATA HD

Thanks for all the replies so far...a lot of it is still a bit over my head, but I'm learning quickly. Dell sent me both the XP disk and drivers disk, I assume they are all I need to get started(I hope).

Mommabear, you entire post is over my head :thumbsup: What is "GUI"? I have no idea what backing up drivers actually does for me, much less how I create '.exe files'. When I mentioned that I was computer illiterate I wasn't kidding. My skill level allows me to surf the web, save pics and documents, and download stuff from the web. It's not uncommon for me to save a file etc and then have no idea how to find where I saved it! :flowers:
Until my drive started going bad...I had never even attempted to start up in 'safe mode' much less change my boot order(which I CAN do now).

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Well done your learning fast.........um Serial ATA is called sata for short.
MCP
MSDST

#12 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Monty007....it's an ATA not a SATA HD
Mommabear, you entire post is over my head :flowers: What is "GUI"? I have no idea what backing up drivers actually does for me, much less how I create '.exe files'. When I mentioned that I was computer illiterate I wasn't kidding. My skill level allows me to surf the web, save pics and documents, and download stuff from the web. It's not uncommon for me to save a file etc and then have no idea how to find where I saved it! :trumpet:
Until my drive started going bad...I had never even attempted to start up in 'safe mode' much less change my boot order(which I CAN do now).

Sorry. GUI means Graphic User Interface. What that means is that your list of drivers will come up looking much like the files and folders look like when you explore anything on your computer in Windows.

So, if the drivers you already have installed on your old hard drive are working okay, DriverGenius will search your computer for them and make the backups for you. You just have to follow the easy instructions in the Wizard. Or look at the choices in the toolbar at the top of the program. You can have it search for all the drivers to backup in one big file. Or you can ask it to just search for the 3rd party drivers and back those up. 3rd party drivers are normally not the drivers that Windows provide. They've been installed using software you've received, for example, with a cd writer or a printer.

After it brings up the list of the drivers it found, they will all be check-marked. If you don't need some of them backed up, just untick what you don't want. Then choose the type of backup you want. The reason I recommend the .exe backup over the regular file copy backup is because then you don't have to go through the Windows Hardware Wizard to browse to any driver folders to find the .inf file.

If you want to install a missing driver after reinstalling Windows, or reinstall a driver over what Windows picked by default, you just leave it ticked and let DriverGenius do it for you.

I back up everything in two .exe files. One has all the drivers it found. The second one just contains my 3rd party drivers. In my reality, there is only one on the backups that I ever need after reinstalling Windows. My sound drivers. XP doesn't have them by default. But I'm one of those who believes you can never have too many backups, so I do them all anyway. :thumbsup:

You don't have to worry yourself about how to make an .exe file. DriverGenius will do that for you. .Exe just means the program will run by itself with a click. You don't have to do anything extra. When you click the .exe, DriverGenius will open up looking like it did when you backed up the drivers. You'll see the list of your backups to check or un-check what you want to restore.

The main advantage of having a program like DriverGenius to keep a backup of all your working drivers so that you don't have to search again for updated drivers after reinstalling Windows. The only time you'd need to do that is if a specific manufacturer of your printer model, for example, has issued a new driver to fix a problem. If you don't have that problem, then you don't have to worry about updating it.

Another advantage is that your drivers and any updated drivers are all in one place instead of scattered about on some backup media like floppies or cds.

Then as you add new hardware or get needed driver updates, use DriverGenius again to always have the latest backups available.

#13 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

I've started to do some reading on how to format the hard drive, but I'm lost.
I'll physically install the new drive, then format it BEFORE I even insert the XP disk?
I have no idea how to even begin to format the hd....help!

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

You can format the hard drive with a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/

First you'll fdisk it to create the partitions, then you'll format the partitions. Or - you can insert the XP CD and boot from it. It'll prompt you to format the drive and will format it once you give the OK.

#15 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

Ok...let's backup...I'm a computer retard. Now that I've refreshed your memory...let's continue :thumbsup:
What is a partition and how do i create one? I checked out the botdisk.com site and am not sure what I'm supposed be downloading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users