Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Crashes On Fresh Hdd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaemic

Kaemic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

My laptop is randomly freezing up, this can be ay any time, when it's working, when it's idle and etc.
The laptop has been at a repairshop 4 times now and they haven't fixed the problem and the warranty recently expired.

It's an Asus M6800N with 1.6Ghz and somewhat 512 megs of RAM.

Can anyone help me out of this?

I tired running Kabunto from a live CD and it worked perfectly, but I need to use XP pro since I'll need it for tech-school.

I'm at rock bottom at what can cause this mess, but perhaps it's a hardware/software conflict?

Even formatting the disk isn't working.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

If Kabunto worked without freezing, then it's likely that there's a problem with your Windows installation.

Since you've reformatted, we'll presume that you've reinstalled Windows - so Windows isn't likely to be your problem.

The next thing to check is the drivers. First, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Are there any red x's or yellow !'s visible? If so, what are they?

Next, visit the Asus site for your system and download the all of the drivers from there. FYI - I wasn't able to locate the M6800N there - so it may be a different model number that you'll have to use.

Once they're downloaded, uninstall each one and then install the newly downloaded version.

Generally, I follow this order when installing drivers:
Motherboard/chipset
Other drivers that affect the mainboard
Video
Network
Wireless
Modem
Sound
Everything else
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

Drivers were exactly as they were when it was delivered, after the format I installed drivers, only the ethernet port wasn't working along with the integrated wireless NIC.

I used a recovery CD today and everything is working fine except for the ethernet port which apparently can't start up, along with the wireless, again.
:S

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

Can you be more specific? Are the problems apparent in device manager? Error codes?

Did the networking work under Linux (I assume it was Kubuntu?)
And are you still having problems with freezing or stability issues?
Posted Image

#5 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

The problems are apparent in the devicemanager, the ethernet port can't start (Code 10), same goes for the wireless device.

I don't have any problems with stability or crashes atm, but my uncle who had the laptop before me tried to update it and then the freezing began again he said. But I'm going to try it on myself when I get the 802.3 and/or 802.11 devices working.

I didn't try the NICs out on the laptop with Kubuntu since I only thought about the issue of the computer was freezing.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Can you install the network drivers manually?
If they won't install at all then the network components are probably fubar, and if they're a part of the motherboard then that'll be what's going bad, and a faulty motherboard would definitely explain stability issues.

You can run some diagnostics to make sure other things like that RAM and the hard drive aren't faulty, but I'm leaning my guess to a bad system board.
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:27 PM

A few laptops have replaceable wireless cards (but not many). I'd suggest trying to install the drivers manually (as arcman suggests). If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a wireless PMCIA or USB device to try on the laptop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users