Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Into Bios After Installing New Master Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cajunmom47

cajunmom47

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

I have replaced original harddrive with a new WD ide drive. After installing it and turning it on I get the message PXE-E61. Media test failure. check cable. I can't get into the bios after hitting the F2 key. It is the master drive. Contacted the Western Digital and they said this drive could replace my old WD drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000706.htm

Question:

Getting media test failure, check cable error when computer boots.

Additional Information:

This error message also relates to users who are getting the below error message or similar error messages.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

Answer:

This issue is often caused by either an incorrect setting in BIOS or a bad boot device, such as a bad hard disk drive. To resolve this issue, we suggest you go through the steps in document CH000229 relating to a similar error message.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000229.htm
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:36 AM

Steps to fix:

disconnect the HDD, and power to the hdd.

start computer, go into bios boot area and turn off Network card boot. PXE errors are listed when no network cable is attached or the boot rom for the network card cannot find a PXE boot server.

shut down

plug in the hard drive again, ensuring that the jumper is set as master if it is an IDE drive. retry, and let us know the results.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 cajunmom47

cajunmom47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

I have disconnected the power source to the hd. and reboot but still get the same error mesage and cannot get into bios that way either. I tried changing out ide cables, no success> I was told to see if I see the disc turning on the harddrive but I don't see anything moving on the bottom of it. I have another pc without a harddrive and it will boot up and I can get into the bios. I used it to test the old harddrive to see if it was bad or not. The message I got on it was "cannot find OS" I have also swaped out power source connections. P2 P3,P4. It doesn't seem to make a difference. If I could get into the bios I could then turn off the network card boot.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Have you tried using a bootdisk for your version of windows? http://bootdisk.com/ Has some I believe. Just download the extractor, and write it to a floppy. Then just throw the floppy into the floppy drive before booting up. With any luck, you'll be able to get into the bios.

Posted Image

#6 cajunmom47

cajunmom47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

My newer pc has no floppy and unfortunately I don't have access to one. I've already thought of doing this but with no working floppy drive available I'm out of luck. I need to check with a few friends and see if I can use theirs. Is there a CD bootable disk around? Thanks for your help

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

Try this unplug the computer and remove the clock battery for about 1 hour.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Did you disconnect the IDE cable and 4-pin molex power connector form the hard drive before trying to access the Bios?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 cajunmom47

cajunmom47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

I was able to use a bootable disc and get into the bios. I finally found someone who had a floppy drive. I'm installing windows 98 til I can replace my Xp that bit the dust. The pc is up and running now. Thank ya'll so much for your help....Cajunmom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users