Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Old Computer Fix Up, Really Old....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

Recently my dads computers in the basement which he just used to print out cd labels, printer ran out of ink (its really old too) and can no longer find ink cartridges for it. This isn't a problem since we have other computers hes useing now, with better printers. The thing is he is thinking about just throwing it away, but I think I can put some use into it.

The computer is an IBM from I think 1999. It was a hammy down from my grandma. Well anyways here are the specs: (don't laugh :thumbsup: )

Windows 98
AMD K-2 3D processor, 333mhz, 512kb L2 burst cache (that seems high though for an L2 cache of its time)
1 stick pc100 64mb of ram, motherboard supports up to 256mb
6gb. hard drive
integrated graphics of some sort
only one cd drive and it can't burn disc

Really is this computer worth putting in 256mb of ram and getting another/better hard drive? I remember seeing about a 550Mhz K-2 processor on ebay for $7. Would that make any improvement? I was just thinking of useing it for internet browsing, instant messenging, and for the fact of having 2 computers in my room :huh: . If its not worth it though and I should just throw it out, as it would probably be a waste of time and money then I will.

Thanks for reading this long post!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

It may or may not recognize the larger CPU. Some of those old Socket 7 / Super Socket 7 in the proprietary computers such as HP would only handle up to a 350-450MHz K-2. If you added the additional memory and slapped 98SE it would run fine. You would need to run a decent anti-virus program plus firewall, and other anti-spyware applications to be somewhat safe. Getting the drivers may be an issue. What would be feasable would be to install some flavor of Linux on it. This would give you a good 'nix box to practice with.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

Try to look up the machine on IBMs web site. use the machine number. (2643-A3U) is an example of what the machine number looks like. the max hard drive in this era was about 8 gig, and yes, It would make a great box to run some flavor of Linux, also the machine would run better and more stable with 'nix. But do try to max out the ram and increase the processor speed, the old K6-2 series of processors have a math coprocessor that runs at half of the processors speed. Do not try to substitute ram -- use the exact kind that the specs call for most of these IBM machines would not run properly if the ram was even slightly mismatched.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the replies! I didn't really think about useing it for linux, even though I have a couple of boot disc I've messed around with before. I'll look around a bit for a good linux program, and probably make a post about this in that part of the forum.

One other thing is it doesn't have an Ethernet port. I was looking at one on newegg and it was like $70.... Really don't want to pay that much. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815150048
Anyone find any cheaper? I would like to keep it under $20 if its possible. Thanks again!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:09 AM

$3.50 and up: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib....1/sortby=priceA
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

Very good idea to do this! I did this with an old Windows 98 comp, and ran Fedora and Ubuntu on it fine. It's also useful to have another computer to experiment with hosting your own ftp servers and whatnot. Really, once you upgrade the processor and ram and harddrive, you should be good to go. Grab that ethernet card as well.

Linux may be a challenge at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's great!

Good luck!

Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies! Actually right now I'm useing a boot cd of knoppix just to mess around (the games are pretty fun too :thumbsup: ). When browsing the internet useing the konqueror program, everything looks much clearer. I think I will go ahead and do this.

Edited by Sterling14, 10 February 2007 - 03:58 PM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

Well after looking on that list you sent me usama, the $3.50 one for instance had a 15$ shipping cost :thumbsup: and the other cheaper ones were all about 20$ after shipping. So after looking on newegg some more I found these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16812107293R , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16812203024R .
Would these work well? I realize they're probably not as good as a PCI slot card, but I'm looking for cheaper stuff, and since I will be buying my ram from newegg I figure I might as well get this from there too. Thanks for the help everyone!

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

I would not use the USB to Ethernet adapters. You already are using a small processor and running your Internet connection through the USB port uses the processor.

This is a good NIC card that'll work with Linux as well as Windows.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833156107
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

Sorry! I didn't check the shipping costs!

You can probably get a PCI NIC (Network Interface Card) from WalMart for under $15. Also, shop around at the local computer stores to see if they've got a used parts bin - you can find some amazing deals there!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

My dad says he doesn't want me to waste my money on upgrading this old junk, but it should be fairly cheap now.

I would look to buy from Wal-Mart, but the Wal-mart here isn't a Super one so they don't carry much computer stuff (kind of a small town), and unless I want to pay for 200% profit best buy gets, I'm kind of stuck with ordering parts on the internet. I like that NIC card that TheTerrorist_75 anyways. Sounds good and is cheap :thumbsup: .

11$ (including shipping) for that Ethernet card, 22$ (including shipping) for a stick of 128mb pc100 ram, and I found a 500mhz k6-2 AMD processor for $1 and $5 shipping on ebay.

About 40$ isn't bad (only have to mow 3 or 4 lawns this summer to make that up :huh: ). I guess I might try finding some cheap ram too on ebay.Thanks for everyones help!

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Woohoo! My friend's dad had an old stick of pc133 128mb ram laying around, and when looking for it we also found a PCI card that had Ethernet and fiber optic ports! So for a very reasonable price he sold me this stuff and now I'm looking online, while on instant messenger using the computer! It has 192mb of ram now and while idling has about 75% free. I want to thank everyone for their help! Next step is to put linux on the hard drive, but thats another topic for another day :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users