Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Apache

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm having fits trying to set up a web server locally. I'm trying to get Apache set up and I don't really understand what I'm doing.

First off I'm supposed to make sure that I 'bind' it to 'localhost' only and I haven't a clue as what that means or how to do it.

Second, I'm supposed to setup PHP to use with Apache, however, every time that I add these two lines to the Apache httpd.conf file, as per instructions, Apache refuses to star until I comment them out again;

LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files/PHP/php5apache2.dll"
PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files/PHP"

The instructions said to put those two lines at the top of the httpd.conf file so as it stands right now those are the first two lines in that file but I have to have them commented out for Apache to start so I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem or if maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

First, do you have PHP installed as it asks? I mean, is your PHP directory 'C:/Program Files/PHP/'? It would indicate to me that Apache can not find it where you are directing it to look, so it chokes instead.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:06 PM

Hi groovicus,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, C:/Program Files/PHP/php5apache2.dll is the correct path but I'm not too sure what this is --> PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files/PHP" <-- or if that path is correct.

As long as I comment out those two lines Apache cranks right up. What else might be getting in the way? Is there any file in PHP that should be moved to either the Windows or System32 directories so that Windows can find it?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I remember reading somewhere about having to move, not copy either php5nsapi.dll or phpisapi.dll to one of those locations but I believe that was just for XP Pro.

Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

It is only looking for one path, and if one is correct, the other one should be correct also. It is looking for the base install of PHP (C:/Program Files/PHP), which it appears that you already have, since the other path is correct. You need to look at the Apache logs and see what is causing it to bomb. Apache is good at logging, so one you find the logs, you should be able to find the root cause of the problem. Sorry I can't be more specific. Once you find the root error though, it should be easy to fix the problem.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hi groovicus,

Thanks for the reply. I have uninstalled everything and I'm starting all over again to see if I can find what I did wrong.

When I had downloaded PHP it was supposed to configure its self to Apache so I don't really know what to think. Anyway, I'm starting over so maybe everything will work right the next time around.

Thanks,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users