Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Start!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Don53024

Don53024

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hello...........
Big Problem....
I was trying to update Windows Media Player....
Got Hung Up and now windows will only start in safe mode...but will not restore.....
What to do???
Help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hi Don, you might need to run recovery console, reboot your computer and have the pc boot to your cd rom and go here for more info.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us
MCP
MSDST

#3 Don53024

Don53024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

I started in safe mode.........after repeated attemps to use recovery it seemed to work....and now I am back to almost normal.........
the problem started when I tried to update Windows media player...now it works but does not play video from dvd....only sound......my other dvd player does not work because it says the video is being used by another program.......
I am very concerned about Widows Media player....and do not want to risk another shut down..........

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

I would make a system restore point and once I had done that I would uninstall Media player through add and remove programs. I would then try to reinstall it with a fresh dowload from microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...d/download.aspx
MCP
MSDST

#5 Don53024

Don53024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:25 AM

Thanks..I am trying to work up the courage to do that...right now my system is running really well!!!! Minus the DVD..........
P.S. Windows Media Player is not listed in the Program list on the control panel..........
P.P.S. Now the control panel is aranged in one column - not the rows of icons...how did that happen?

Edited by Don53024, 10 February 2007 - 09:26 AM.

#6 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Control panel has two views, namely classic view and category view, the category view is default and is the most annoying as you can never quite find what you want fast enough.

Click start-->control panel and on your left click switch to classic view and all is better.

#7 Don53024

Don53024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

...thanks................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users