Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On My Third Browser And Still Having Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 weezie53143

weezie53143

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hello.

I have no idea whether or not I am in the correct forum to address my problems, but since it is my browers that are having the problem, I figured this would be the place to start.

First a bit of background: I am using a Gateway 2000 (yep - 10 yrs old)that has been upgraded to a 40 gig HD and 198 RAM. I am running Windows 98, and I believe it is still 2nd edition (I tried to upgrade to xp pro, but lost my printer function and after 2 months of dealing with Microsoft support, I uninstalled the update for some later time).

I currently do not have ANY security protection installed - I had purchased Norton, but didn't read system requirements. (It was for Win2000 or higher, which prompted the purchase of the upgrade mentioned above).

I am also running SBC Yahoo as my ISP. (DSL)

Now. for the problems:

I have an older version of IE that will open, but is useless because I can't connect to any secure sites. I get an error message that states that a device connected to the system isn't working. I have lost all ability for yahoo chat or IM on all my browsers. I have downloaded updates to IE, but cannot install them.

I cannot seem to be able to use my sbc browser/software at all, and no help from their tech support.

I downloaded firefox a year or so back, and that allowed access to the secured sites until a few days ago.
I attempted to go to Turbo Tax, and was directed to update firefox, which I did. Upon opening that browser after the download, I receive a message that the security portion of the browser can't load, presumably because of problems in the profile directory files ( which I can only access with a zip address, and then the only thing that I get is a small profile box that has NO access to the profile settings.) I also cannot connect to any secure sites now with firefox.

I went to the firefox forums, and faQs - In following their advice I checked the encryption (in options) and the correct things are checked. In trying to access the verification option, which is the next step in the FAQ - When I click the verification button, I receive an illegal operation notice and the entire browser shuts down.

Since I wanted to post to this forum, I downloaded ' Opera ' today, and I am able to access my e-mail (Yahoo) via this browser.

What I have also done:

Downloaded and ran trial version of 'Registry Mechanic' - which shows over 1500 registry issues - fixed what I was allowed in the trial.

I also ran my spy/adware programs - Adaware. Spybot, Pest patrol, and Spyware Blaster. Which are all now coming up clean.

I also have run a current scan with Hijack this, which brings up quite a bit, but not sure what to do with it all.

So, anyone have any thoughts or redirects on this? I am planning to upgrade, (I have my business info here on QuickBooks), but I still would like to be able to operate this without all the hassles until I am able to get a new system up and running.

thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

I currently do not have ANY security protection installed

This could be causing all, or most, of your problems.
Any number of infections could be causing the problems, you are describing.

I suggest you download an Antivirus program, immediately, then run these online scans:
BitDefender
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
TrojanScan

After scanning, disconnect from the internet, and install your Antivirus.
Reconnect, and update the Antivirus.

Several good, free, Antivirus programs can be found in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps list.
Personally, I use AVG Free.

I also have run a current scan with Hijack this, which brings up quite a bit, but not sure what to do with it all.

Unless you have been trained in the use of HJT, you should never attempt to fix anything using it, until someone who is experienced at reading the log outputs, has a chance to review it.
Fixing the wrong items can make your computer unbootable.

Removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified, and correct removal instructions posted, can make the problem undetectable to other detection and removal tools.
Hijack this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the offending program, file, trojan, worm, hijacker, etc.
And this usually requires help.

After you have run your scans, and installed your Antivirus, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

If the steps, prior to the posting of a HijackThis log don't eliminate the problem:

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, >at this link<.
Do not, post it in this topic.
Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Edited by tg1911, 09 February 2007 - 11:57 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users