Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Ram Will Vista Support

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

How much RAM will Vista support? And, is there a difference in the amount of ram between their 4 different versions of Vista?

Any supportive links would be appreciated! :huh:

Thanks in advance for the help! :huh:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

No links, but my 4gB of RAM is only recognized as 3.25 by Vista 32 bit. I understand that the 64 bit version will recognize all of it.

There should be no differences between the versions tho'.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks usasma. I've done some checking and come up empty handed as far as max ram and whatnot. I'm told that vista 64 will support up to 64gb of ram :huh: ......which is why I posted, to see if it actually will or not.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

32-bit versions is limited to around 3.3GB as usasma said. The 64-bit versions vary between editions: Home Basic 8GB, Home Premium 16GB and the rest 128GB+.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that most consumer motherboards only support 4-8GB of memory. 18446744073GB is the theoretical limit for a 64-bit operating system.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 10 February 2007 - 05:17 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

If you have a computer with more than 4GB of RAM, Vista 64 will support it. Computers that have that much RAM is rare though.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users