Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows On A Separate Partition.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I wanted to try doing this, but I'm not sure if it will work correctly so I wanted to ask first. Is it possible to format my hard drive, make a 4GB partition and just install windows on that, but put Program Files and My Documents on a different partition? So the windows partition would just be the operating system and thats all. So it would be easier to clean up and if i need to reinstall windows again, I don't have to worry about my programs or other files, i can just install windows on that partition again....
I'm assuming if I had to reinstall windows, some of my programs on the other partition would need to be installed again since they need to put things into Windows folders. However can this be done? is it wise to do? or will it just end up being a headache?

Thanks

Edited by jgweed, 09 February 2007 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

if you had to reinstall windows all of your programs would not work because the registry info would not be present
and program files cannot be mounted to a separate drive because the folder is not empty

what you can do however is mount your my docs on a separate partition. That will be a little less of a pain, but will require more than one user account.

Edited by Jombee, 09 February 2007 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users